This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think it's a developer's job to suggest what kind of social media tools a client should use?
04-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Do you think it's a developer's job to suggest what kind of social media tools a client should use?
The account manager asked me to suggest what the client should do, and i mean, i can build whatever, but i'm not into marketing. I don't really know what they should do... I could look it up right now and make a few suggestions.. but there's so much. I'm not a marketer.. I can't come up with a campaign.

What do I tell the Account Manager? Isn't it her job to figure that out. I'm not really into the whole social media thing, but I can build widgets, and implement Facebook connect and all that crap... but as Developers, are we required to KNOW more about them?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 03:33 AM

You tell the account manager that you'll develop whatever kind of site she tells you to develop, but you're a developer. (I don't even "know" the programs I write. The people using them get to know them a lot better than I do.)

Tell her that you'll make the suggestions - *IF* you're not held responsible for anything you suggest, since that's not what you know, and it's not what you were hired to know. If she wants a shoemaker to stitch up her cut, she can't complain that the bandage looks like a shoe sole.

Ads

04-28-2014, 03:35 AM

Firstly the client shouldn't do anything, they client will use what ever they enjoy using and you don't decide that for them. Secondly that is not your job at all, and she is offloaded her workload onto you as people in positions of power do. Thirdly are you required to know more? If you want to be good at your job HELL YES!!! Here is a philosophical tip, never think about what you have to do, think about all you can do and then do as much as you can. Try not to look on life as a series of duties but as a chance to do as much as possible. Do more than you are supposed to. If you want to develop then ultimately it is down to you to know what the consumer will like and want to use and no amount instruction will change that, it is really you who make it. It is your vision no matter what directions you take