This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Computer hard drive, speed and memory?
04-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Computer hard drive, speed and memory?
I have two hard drives:

My C drive is 97.5 GB and contains the motherboard
My D drive is 368 GB and is used to store files, programs and the like.

Question 1: If I leave more free space on my D drive, will my computer run faster?

Question 2: I have 71.4 GB free on my C and 343 GB free on my D drive. Can I switch the two drives around so that my C drive, which contains the mother board, have more memory and thus can run faster?

Question 3: if the answer to question 2 is yes, how is this done?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 04:06 AM

Q1) No

Q2) You have to boot from the drive with Windows on it, which Windows will decide to call drive C:\ anyway regardless of the connections.

Are you sure that you've physically got two drives, as opposed to one drive split into two partitions? Any 100GB drive is old so is likely to be slow. If you have got two drives then the best thing to do would be to reinstall Windows on the larger and most likely newer drive, but that's a hassle. You can improve things by moving the Windows page file onto the second drive if they really are two separate devices. If it's really only one drive then you could change the partition sizes, but be aware that if you delete a partition then any data is permanently lost, so don't try unless you know what you're doing.

Ads

04-28-2014, 04:08 AM

Your C drive DOES NOT Contain your Motherboard.

Your Motherboard is the main circuit board in your comuter (Hardware) and all the drives are connected to it by cabel.

Your C Drive has your OPERATING SYSTEM.

Q1. NO
Q2. NO
04-28-2014, 04:10 AM

Good Evening Serge,

If you free up space on your D drive it will not make your computer faster.

If you switched the drives, that would not likely make your computer faster either.

If you have a desktop computer you likely have 2 physical drives, but if you have a laptop there is a very high probability you have only 1 physical drive. In either case, as long as you have over 20% free space in your primary drive © your computer is happy.

Upgrading your hard drives to faster drives will improve speed, but only very slightly. If you are having issues with speed you might benefit from more RAM, or possibly simply need to optimize your computer.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need more information. You can reply in this thread.

Thank you,
Agent Jerry L.
Deputy of Counter Intelligence
Badge #48029
Geek Squad Social Media Team
02/16/2014