This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do people say to sign out?
04-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Why do people say to sign out?
On websites where you log in to an account, i.e. Facebook, Gmail, eBay, universities, etc., why do people always say to log out when you're done?

Doesn't the browser window automatically log you out when you close it? (This is based on the fact that I have to sign back in every time I close my browser and re-open it)

I guess the real question is, are people just paranoid/ignorant, or is there an actual reason?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 04:35 AM

It's good to be cautious online. Especially if you used any type of financial website or where your credit card might be stored. If you do not logout and if anyone else would use your computer, they could essentially login to your account and access your information.

Ads

04-28-2014, 04:43 AM

Closing the browser (or turning off the computer) does not log you out of any site*.

As far as the website server knows, you are still logged in, but just not interacting.
'Logging out' by using the proper 'button' sends a series of communications to that server that ends the connection properly.
*Some ultra-value sites, like banking may have a time limit, where inactivity will automatically log a user out, but this should not be relied on.
[The recent 'heartbleed' exploit leveraged a users "logged-in state" (a live connection) to do it's evil.]
Get the habit of logging out, especially from high-value sites, when finished.
04-28-2014, 04:48 AM

Yes I realized this to some website automatically sign you out when the browser will does close. But recent I started noticing that Google doesn&#x27;t. I guess people just want to ensure that your information is safe . if you feel as though it has logged you out by closing the windows you don&#x27;t HAVE to check but if we want to be sure I guess sign out manually
04-28-2014, 04:54 AM

Hi Christian,

Closing your browser does not guarantee a safe exit. Logging out, closes your backdoor to your account.
If you were ask people who had their identities stolen. Or their passwords hijacked, they are very vigilant
about security. i guess until it happens to him or her, it is then they think 3 times about security.
Happy computing