This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are some good techniques to manage my time?
04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
What are some good techniques to manage my time?
Are there any recommended techniques for time management? Are there any applications on phones for example? I have so much in my life now and I'm messing it up (Job, college, music, sports...etc)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Hi... Successful time management has its roots in having your priorities identified. We all have BIG TASKS or BIG GOALS we want to accomplish and we also have TONS of little goals that aren't so important but take up our time.

Is the better strategy to tackle the bunch of little tasks first, then work on the BIG ones, or start on the BIG ones and let the little ones get done after?

It would seem that getting all of the little ones done first would be more productive, but actually, it doesn't help you get any closer to achieving your long term or important goals. The little, insignificant goals can wait!

So, its important to break down your goals into 3 types...

- Long Term Goals (Things that you've always wanted to do, to buy, or dreams of yours. Something that will take at least a year or longer to accomplish)

- Mid-Term Goals (Goals that will take 6 months to a year to accomplish)

- Short Term Goals (Important items which can be accomplished Today, this week or within the next 3-6 months)

Once you have your Long Term Goals identified, take each one and break down the steps you need to do you accomplish the goal. (Those steps then become the Mid-Term to Short-Term Goals). Do the same for each of your Long, Mid and Short Term Goals.

Write these goals down in a notebook or perhaps on your computer or phone and look at them DAILY! Each Morning before you start your day (Or at the end of your day), review your goals and PLAN OUT YOUR DAY.

What Do You NEED to Accomplish Today?

What Do You WANT to Accomplish Today?

Write out a To Do List and ONLY work on the items on your list! One of the tasks can be, "Check Email for 15 Minutes" or "Take a Walk for 30 minutes"

Each time you accomplish a goal, you check it off.

A Good idea is to set a Short Term Goal that is almost 100% guaranteed you'll accomplish... it can be as simple as "Brush My Teeth" or "Eat Breakfast". When you accomplish the goal and check it off, you'll all of a sudden feel a sense of accomplishment because you planned to Eat Breakfast, and you actually carried out that task. Each day, add 3 new things you can do the you normally wouldn't have planned. Eventually all of this will become second nature for you and you'll be able to get things done and accomplish ALL of your Goals!

TV is a HUGE waste of time... you can schedule it in, but is contributing to your accomplishment of your Long Term Goals? Which is more important... watching TV or being Successful in the way You define Success???!!!

As far as tools to track of this... almost every free email account comes with a Task List feature... Gmail etc. Use the Calendar feature to actually put a time to when you want to take a walk etc. Depending on your phone, there is usually a Calendar or To Do built in. Go to your Apps site for your phone and type in "To Do List" or "Time Management"

If you happen to not be able to complete a task that you planned for today, you can "Plan Forward" which means that you schedule the date and time to work on that task again. It doesn't have to be the next day... just as long as you plan it again, you're covered.

I site I like to track Long-Term Goals is at http://43things.com

If you email me your number, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. Let me know when a good time to call is. My blog has articles on Goal Setting and Time Management... http://AskTallPaul.com

Have FUN!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply