This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I get a Dynamic IP?
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
How do I get a Dynamic IP?
So the title is pretty much straight foward I wanna find out how to make my IP dynamic. I know it is staitc because none of the numbers are changing and this is extemely bad.
Im a gamer and that means when I play stuff like ps3 or xbox etc etc
some dumb little douche is gonna ddos me and I aint gonna be able to play for an hour nor use the internet.

Thanks!
Then when I go back online the lil douche could do the booter again.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

You have to contact your ISP for that change. Some allow for both on the same circuit. So you could set your router to obtain IP automatically if that doesn't work you have to contact your ISP. Also you should play games with dedicated servers then they can't Wireshark your IP.

Ads

04-28-2014, 10:30 AM

There are two dynamic IPs involved here. One is your externally visible IP. That's the one you're worried about. That is given out by your ISP, either dynamically, or statically. Typically, most ISPs use a dynamic IP. Static IPs usually will cost you extra. Look at the configuration of your router's WAN connection. If it is using DHCP to get its external IP, then it's dynamic. Static IP requires you to enter a specific IP, plus the netmask and DNS nameservers.

That other IP is your internal (private) IP on your home network. That one you really don't have to be concerned about since it's not visible externally, i.e. outside you home network. It can be either static or dynamic.

I hope you understand that an ISP-issued dynamic IP is quite stable. It won't change unless you do something drastic like rebooting your router (and maybe not even then). That's not very conducive to warding off DDoS attacks. If you were thinking that your external IP changed regularlyduring a session, it doesn't.