This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ethernet Powerline Adapters Wont Connect To Each Other?
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Ethernet Powerline Adapters Wont Connect To Each Other?
So i bought a Zyxel PLA4205 Ethernet Powerline Adapter and I connected one to my router and the other to my computer. The power and ethernet lights are green and fine (although the ethernet light flickers from time to time) yet the powerline light stays either yellow or red (meaning that a connection has not been established). Ive followed the directions and ive held the "encrypt" button for 2 seconds and then pressed the same button on the adapter near my computer to establish a connection but they just wont seem to connect.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Powerline adaptors should not be connected to surge protector bars or any power bar for that matter because it can kill the data portion of the connection. Power line adaptors should be connected directly on the electric wall socket. Second one powerline adaptor should be connected to your ISP given modem. The other one should be directly connected your computer. Then take CD software included and use that on the computers that supposed to receive the connection from your ISP modem to set it up. On the wireless thing in Windows, look for the wireless name that you have setup using the provided CD and connect to that. Voila, you should be connected to the internet. Test using a prefered browser like Chrome or Internet explorer and try to access a website like google.ca or facebook.com

The reason why powerline adaptors are used because sometimes the wireless connections are not that great in big houses or people just dont have the length of a ethernet cable to connect. Powerlines adaptors are giant ethernet cords that use your electric line for data in and out.

Ads

04-28-2014, 10:31 AM

If either of them goes through a surge protector or if they are on different phases in a 3 phase building they do not work.
04-28-2014, 10:39 AM

If you are in a home that has a split phase (120V/240V), it may be that each in on a different leg of the circuit, and have problems seeing each other. The other comment about power bars, extension cords, etc., also applies. These powerline ethernet adapters must be plugged into the wall outlets directly.