This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do internet speed reduced when port(s) closed?
04-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Do internet speed reduced when port(s) closed?
I am living in the University hostel that provide internet connection.
But the speed seems so slow.
When I do port scan, I found that only 443 port that opened. Else are closed.
With thousands of students using the same port (443), does it gonna affect the speed?

Just wonders, because its feel bad when your University close all port, it troubles the students here.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Port 443 being open means that INCOMING connections to port 443 will be allowed. This has nothing to do with the students using the other 65,000 ports for their OUTGOING connection.

Ads

04-28-2014, 10:37 AM

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you.

Secure encrypted communications use device software port 443 commonly for https:// traffic.

What you are seeing is that those network devices are not blocking communications over port 443. It's like have a street 10 miles long and all the houses have green doors labeled 443 -- meaning people can just walk in. If you see a house with a red door, it means you can't enter -- it's locked.

Could these doors alone clog up the street? No. But if there is a significant number of pedestrians (network packets) all using the street at the same time, there is a possibility of network congestion.
They are not using one door labeled 443 there are multiple doors.
It's possible that students are downloading or accessing Internet sites that are hogging bandwidth. They blame the school but it's really the students that are the problem. Fix the students and you'll fix the speed issue.