This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Setup internet connection in two LAN connected computers?
04-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Setup internet connection in two LAN connected computers?
Hi, I am new user in yahoo answer.
I need help. I got problem in internet connection.
I have two pc in my home.They are LAN connected via RJ45 cable only .
one side of the cable is in ethernet port of comp1 and another side is in the ethernet port of comp2.The LAN connection is going fine.
now I want to know how can I connect internet in comp1 so that I can acess internet from comp2 also.Please, Please help me.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Most modems (adsl or cable) have a USB output so use that on one PC.

Ads

04-28-2014, 10:46 AM

You need to install a second network card in computer 1 and share the connection so computer 2 can access it. You share it by using the Internet Connection Sharing option. You can add this feature by going to Add/Remove Programs, select add Windows features and under the section called Internet Tools, look for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
04-28-2014, 11:01 AM

You need a router that should connected between your modem and your computer this will connect you to the internet.. If you connect to the computer with one cable you cannot get access to the internet , you can access only to the LAN. So the setup is this first modem --> connected to router --> then router connected to the two computer.
04-28-2014, 11:12 AM

run the network connection wizard. one part will asked if you connect directly to the internet or if you go through another computer. tell it you go through another computer. the wizard makes it easy.
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM

follow these steps on how to connect your internet from one computer

1. PC 1 needs two lan cards.. either the buit-in lan cards and another PCI lancard
2. PC 2 need 1 lan card only
3. prepare a UTP cable and rj 45 and make a crossover connection.
folow these color coding..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
4. from pc 1 .. lancard 1.. connect your internet cable
5. from pc 1 . lancard 2 .. connect your crossover cable to pc2
6. check if pc 1 has internet
if internet has found
7. go to contro panel, network connections din right click Local Area connection 2
8. set your ip address to 192.168.0.1 and pc 2 wil be set also as 192.168.0.2
9. make sure that you will set or share your internet by clicking internet sharing option..
10, foow the steps..

hope it wi help
04-28-2014, 11:38 AM

well..........there are two ways to connect to the internet and u did not mentioned what kind of method u r using to connect to the internet.....lets discuss both..

1- in first case if u r using a dial up connection for internet then u create dial up connection and when u create it go to the dial up connection's properties and there in advance tab and click on internet connection sharing and a windows will pop up read it press ok ...this procedure will be done on the computer running internet connection now on the other computer go to the lan card properties and select TCP/IP properties and click on the first option OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY and click ok and exit properties...now one thing u will make sure that both computers are running under same domain/workgroup name...to chek this u will select properties of my computer and go to computer name tab....and chek id there in CHANGE button...if both are have the same name then its ok if not u will give them the same workgroup name.....and restart..........if workgroup names are same them just restart the second computer and after logged on go internet explorer's properties and click on Connection tab and there LAN Setting and chek first option Automatically deduct settings....and then run the explorer..........ur second computer will be ready to work on internet......

secondly if u r using DSL line then u still need to creat same workgroup ..give same range of ip address . and give the Default Gateway and DNS settings .........

hope u understand all i want to do ........ok cheers....