This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home computers/laptops, internet connections, wireless - HELP!?
04-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Home computers/laptops, internet connections, wireless - HELP!?
Our current set-up: Dell desktop, cable modem, internet provider is COMCAST.

My daughter and husband just got new laptops (I have no idea what kind of connection-"things" they have though - they are from Dell, hopefully they have something ready to go?). I am considering purchasing a laptop also.

(1) Can we leave the cable modem as is and just connect the connection cable to each computer whenever we need to access the internet? Or do we have to pay for 3 separate internet connections through Comcast?

(2) If we do wireless internet at home, how does that work? (I know this can be a complicated answer, but someone who can make it succinct and VERY EASY to understand for a tech novice like me would be FABULOUS). Can all three of us access the wireless internet at the same time?

(3) Can we have 2 wireless connections and 1 "real" connection (my husband's job doesn't allow wireless on his computer for security purposes, only "real" connections - I don't know if that makes any sense)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 11:13 AM

1) No you don't need to buy 3 internet services
2)You need to buy whats called a wireless internet router(at Staples) and see if your laptop has wireless internet built in and if not you need to buy a wireless internet card(i think comes with router) just ask people at staples or futureshop or something)
3) Yes all you need is a internet cable looks blue or yellow and looks like a phone jack at the end

Ads

04-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Definitely, you can do ANY of those.

Sounds like option 3 is the best one since your husband can't use wireless. (Although why they don't just get him a VPN connection like my company does, who knows.)

You could take turns using the actual cable, but that'd be problematic, like having only one phone line and 8 people in a house. :-P

Wireless is great. You basically need to buy a ROUTER (just go to compusa and ask for buying advice). I have a Netgear Router. You'll need the cable to get it hooked up, and after that, only the router has the internet cable in it, and in your case, also your husbands computer would be connected to the router. You and your daughter could connect wirelessly. You'll just need a "WEP key" the first time you connect. The wep key is a long password for your network to prevent your neighbors from hopping on.

You may need to get someone tech-savvy to help you get the router set up. It's supposed to be easy, but so is assembling store bought furniture- sometimes things don't work out that way.

Good luck.
04-28-2014, 11:25 AM

1. You DO NOT need to buy more than one connection. If you want a wired network, you need a WIRED router. Basically acts as a splitter for the internet. Plug in the ethernet that goes into your desktop to the router, then you will have 4 or 5 more "connections".

2.With Laptops, you definitely want a wireless connection. All new Dell laptops have a wireless card (able to receive a wireless internet connection" inside of it.

Yes all 3 of you can browse the internet at the same time with a WIRELESS router. I suggest Linksys, very reliable brand.

Basically you put the ethernet cable that comes from the comcast modem into the router, then it sends the internet signal all throughout your house.

The laptops pick up the signal very easily and are good to go.

3. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh ??????????