This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does the speed of a 4g mobile hotspot?
04-28-2014, 11:14 AM
How does the speed of a 4g mobile hotspot?
How does the speed of the 4g mobile hotspot feature when used for internet connection on a laptop compare to the wifi speed obtained at standard wifi spots such as the community library, mcdonald's etc. I do not need suggestions on alternatives, prices, etc. I know my alternatives, just looking for some advice as to the comparison of the speeds.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 11:21 AM

It would compare to DSL...faster than dial-up but not as fast as your typical cable connection.

Ads

04-28-2014, 11:24 AM

My regular WiFi is around 3 times faster than my MiFi which is a 4g mobile hotspot. But I only have 4GB of data per month on the MiFi for the same money as my regular MiFi which allows a lot more data transfer. I use the MiFi in the summer when I'm in my backyard and out of range of my regular WiFi. Also use it when I loose power and regular internet down.
04-28-2014, 11:33 AM

The WiFi hotspot on my Samsung S3 is about 3 times faster than my home DSL (15 Mbps vs. 5.1 Mbps based on speedtest.net). But ping is much longer on the mobile data network than on my DSL, maybe because my DSL is always connected and the mobile data network likely reconnects on demand as needed.

I have a T-Mobile plan that allows 5 GB/month at 4G, then would slow to 2G (no extra cost like some carriers if you go over). But my phone is normally connected to home or office WiFi, so I have not hit that 4G limit yet.