This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with Business Network (Wired LAN and Wireless) connections.?
04-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Help with Business Network (Wired LAN and Wireless) connections.?
Hello. I'm currently working an IT position at a business, and we are in process of trying to change the wireless network (more so, how it is configured). Networking is not strong for me in any way (I was a Computer Science major who mostly focused on programming and such), and most of my network skills stopped at configuring my home router to keep my Xbox connection open and ported correctly.

Here is the setup.

Currently, the business has set up a domain for the LAN which we use to login to user accounts. Connected to the LAN are the business desktops, servers, domain controllers, network printers/scanners/copiers, and the routers. There is also the wireless network; on it we have office/parts/shop wifi, and also two Guest Networks.

Currently, the entire* network is giving out 192.168.0.x IP Address', in the range of .0.10 - .0.210. The problem we are running into is that we are starting run out of IP Address' with the growth of the company, causing us to have to release random Phones that are connected and such.

My post is asking for help in regards to:

We want to move the wireless network so that anyone connected to the Shop/Office/Parts/Guest1/Guest2 networks are given out .1.x IP's and not .0.x IP's. We also want access both ways between the LAN and WiFi networks. By that, I mean that the .1's should have access to the LAN network (for network printers/scanners mostly), but we also want the .0's to have network access to the .1's (Remote Desktop access and such).

Before I was working here they had tried something like this before. The .1's could access the printers, but the IT Department (on the .0 LAN) could not access the .1's computers. What kind of router configuration could I do to make this all work?

I think* it has to do with bridging the connections or the routers, but I am likely just talking out of BS.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 05:20 PM

you would need to look at something like -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...58938.aspx but it depends on where you manage the DHCP and on what sort of server if its on windows 2008 R2 You just need to setup the SonicWall so that it's Lan network is 192.168.2.0 Deactivate it's DHCP Server and Enable it to act as a DHCP Relay (IP Helper) instead.

Ads

04-28-2014, 05:28 PM

You need to contact a technical solutions provider. They will be able to provide you with the expertise you require.

Basically you need is VLAN capable equipment. A router will create the subnets for each network and route between them and switches will segregate the traffic at OSI layer 2. If you have exceeded 200 devices on your network you've grown past small buisness/home office stuff and need hardware with more capabilities. I'd suggest either hiring someone with a background in networking or getting a support contract with solutions provider to have them run it.
04-28-2014, 05:33 PM

First, there is nothing stopping you for just expanding the network to a /23, giving you 510 devices. You will need to have everyone reconfigure stuff, like change the DHCP scope and netmask. /24 is totally arbitrary, you don't want to make it real huge but this buys you time.
If you did that, you can still segregate to .0 and 1, because that is the break point for a /23. You would have 253 hosts on each side, but it is one network.

The other way is simply to get a configurable business class router. You don't need a VLAN,
you just need to route between the networks (and out to the internet). You didn't say if the wireless routers are stand alone or hooked up to a main DHCP server, which means you need to use helper addresses because the DHCP server is not on all networks. You need enough interfaces for each network, if you have 1 LAN and 2 separate WIFI network you need at least 4 ( one for the outbound side). You would need some static routes for each network leg.
04-28-2014, 05:36 PM

here ya go, like the guy said
http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=B
try it with subnet bits 0 or 1.