This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much data does tethering LTE use to play Xbox?
04-28-2014, 05:27 PM
How much data does tethering LTE use to play Xbox?
I live in a rural area where no DSL/cable internet can reach, and satellite internet is just too horrible to even think of. So I found an alternative. Many people say tethering their LTE to play Xbox Live is amazing, and with no lag. I just ran a speedtest and I'm hitting around 25 mbps download with a 55ms ping.

So I'm wondering.... If I play CoD Ghosts for example, for around 2 hours, how much data is that using? I've heard tethering doesn't use as much as most people think and is very reasonable. Thanks for any help.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 05:32 PM

I can't give you an exact number, but I would NEVER use my phone to do something like this. When playing an online game you are connecting to a server, you are sending your information to that server, and you are downloading the information the other players are sending to the server to your client as well. Considering voice may be streamed over the connection (as well as other data the Xbox uses to connect online), you would be using a LOT of data.

If you have a plan of 2GB (or even more), you would burn through that in no time.

Ads

04-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Tethering doesn *not* use that much bandwidth when surfing the web like a normal internet browser would do. Reading email and Facebook and such.

Gaming however, uses a BOATLOAD of bandwidth. If you have an "unlimited bandwidth account" then this is no problem. If you aren't sure, you should call your cell company and ask them how much bandwidth your account has per month.

Tethering use to be free, Now most carriers list it as an "add on" to a phone account. Meaning, you pay extra for that privilege.

MMO's tend to use more bandwidth than console games like CoD. However, CoD uses around 12MB for each round of game play. It really depends on your game settings in many cases. Drop the quality and drop the bandwidth.

Basically, if you have say a 60Gig per month plan you are fine. If you have a 5Gig tethering plan you are toast -