This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to find a good seo domain name?
04-28-2014, 05:37 PM
How to find a good seo domain name?
Need a good seo domain name for a Caribbean travel website. Have tried google ad words .

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Assuming you have a good idea what keyword phrases people are currently using to find your site, take a list of those and to the Google Free Keyword tool. Plug those in the tool and make note of the number of searches (higher the better), vs. the competition. If there a lot of competition, maybe look for another phrase.

If you want to take this a step further, sign up for a free trial of Market Samurai. This is a great tool to evaluate keywords and what it will take to rank in the search engines.

After you have a few good candidates, go to Godaddy and see if those EXACT phrases are available as domain name. Based on your budget, buy as many as you can.

Build "feeder" website to leading to your main site around each of those domains. Using Wordpress is usually very effective. Add some posts that use those phrases, and then go to Fiverr.com and buy some back links on a $5 gig that send links back to each site. Also, buy a gig for some .edu link to each site.

By having the Exact phrase domain, you should be able to rank high quickly. If not, you probably choose keywords that were too competitive.

Good luck!

Ads

04-28-2014, 05:44 PM

Just to clarify, it sounds like you want a new web site domain name that provides some inherent search ranking benefit. Marshall shared some good info, if I can add, the ideal names in popular fields. like Caribbeantravel.com have been taken long ago, that Google keyword Tool:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
the most popular free keyword research tool can provide you a list of actual search phrases that might be used in a domain name to get a slight search rank advantage for that specific search. Some niche marketers are happy to paint themselves into a corner by dedicating a site only to CaribbeanDiving AdventureTravel.com but such a specific keyword is probably not suitable for most agencies. It's more likely you would have to add to a popular search keyword to create a unique name, something like CaribbeanTravelGuide.com, the added word is assumed to be better placed after the keyword.
An aside if you are logged into an Adwords account the tool provides a list of 800 keywords instead of the 100 a no account user gets.
The bulk search tab at Godaddy is handy for trying a variety of domain TLDs (.com .org .net, etc) in a single operation, one possible compromise is to use a less popular TLD with a quality keyword, like CaribbeanTravel.tv, as long as it's not a TLD with a bad reputation like the blacklisted free .co.cc domains or marginal .info the alternate type is supposed to rank as easily as a .com, the earliest creatd and most invested in sites are usually .com versions, which may account for their usually being at the top.
Ultimately the domain name is just one of hundreds of ranking factors,any business that cares about branding will probably not want to use clumsy sounding keyword searches for their names, like infoTravelCaribbean.com, in any case incorporating the primary subject matter in the name may avoid some of the additional cost of promoting some abstract branding name like getawaycoach.com.

The Google keyword tool results are not 100% accurate, serious marketers use paid keyword tools like http://www.wordpot.com/
04-28-2014, 05:48 PM

It is obviously better if you choose domain name related to your service or your service keyword include in your url. Research most search but less competitive keyword from google keyword search tool.
04-28-2014, 05:50 PM

If you are a small business owner, and are building a real website that markets you, your brand, your company, or your products or services, then my recommendation is to buy a .com domain name that is short, and matches or represents your company name.

I’ll give you a couple examples. First, lets say your a fitness trainer, or public speaker. You may be tempted to buy a domain that is something like UtahFitnessTrainer.com or BestKeynoteSpeaker.com. The only time I would recommend those domains, is if that was what the name of your company is, and your logo says. Something that would make more sense, would be to choose your name for the domain, or the name of your company. It could be something like BodyByJane.com or JaneJones.com.

But won’t this hurt your SEO? Nope, having the keywords in your domain, will not bring people to your website. I promise. What you need to do, is make your website the best website on a particular topic, and guess what happens… anytime someone does a search on that topic in Google, Google will intentionally send them to your website. I train more on that in another video. Your domain will have no impact.

A couple other questions I get asked often are about the .net’s and .orgs, etc. And honestly, I take it on a case by case basis. Sometimes, and domain is so good, that a .net might work. but that’s typically the exception. As a general rule, you probably want to stick with .com and .com only.

Another piece of advice, is that there is no benefit to becoming a domain name junkie. Having a entire list of cool domain names, that you are never going to build a full website on, is worthless. Literally. A domain without a website will get absolutely no SEO traffic.