This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is 3 Mbps uverse internet good for me?
04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Is 3 Mbps uverse internet good for me?
I currently have 1.5 Mbps dsl with AT&T. I use the internet for netflix, gaming and my online classes i also download music (Legally) a lot. The problem is that when one of my siblings get on netflix i cant even navigate through google because the connection is so slow. I split the phone and internet bill with my mom and i want to upgrade. Is 3Mbps enough? Will I be able to use the internet comfortably while someone else is streaming netflix? Also how are download speeds? I currently can download a 50MB mixtape in about 30 minutes and to download a 2 GB game on xbox takes over 8 hours. Will there be an improvement? There is never more than 3 of us online at the same time its usually just 2.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 05:49 PM

No. You atleast need 12 Mbps or higher for your needs.

Ads

04-28-2014, 05:54 PM

I don't think so. For gaming, I would want more than 5 mbps down. Netflix at that speed can get annoying at times. Another thing is when you use proxies, it can be really slow.
04-28-2014, 06:03 PM

netflix to stream at 1080P without buffering you need atleast 8-10 Mbps.
listening to music online or downloading music uses like 1-3Mbps (depending on quality).
playing online games uses less then 1Mbps. (but unlike other thing gaming requires upload bandwidth aswell. so having as low upload bandwidth will sometimes make gaming lag even with a decent download bandwidth. and if someone is torrenting and seeding or uploading videos to the internet, it will probably kill all your upload lol)

This is all for a SINGLE person. each person you have doing one of those tasks you have to add it.
so 2 people streaming netflix at the same time will require 16-20Mbps.
2 netflix and 1 person gaming would be like 17-21.

You may want to give your self like a 10% overhead though.

downloading files is directly linked to your bandwidth and the how much the server allows you to download at. So the more bandwidth you have the faster it will download assuming the place you are downloading from allows you to go at the speed you have.
on steam i usually download at 10-20MB/s and it usually only takes like 10-15 mins to download a full game.

but https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...413AA1FwRL
read my answer here and pass on the info to people (i HIGHLY recommend you watch the internet and ISP videos linked in that post fore youtube. ESPECIALLY since you use at&t)