This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I set up WiFi if I don't have a modem?
04-28-2014, 06:26 PM
How do I set up WiFi if I don't have a modem?
I've recently purchased my first laptop and I'd like to know if I need a modem to plug into a router. My phone company's recently installed some fiber optic stuff in my house and all I have now is a gray cord that comes out of the floor.... They took back the old modem and said I didn't need it anymore. Anyways... I'm curious as to how to go about setting this up and I'd greatly appreciate any advice or instructions. I'm not a very tech oriented person and I apologize if this sounds really dumb.
Okay I went outside and smoked things over. Apparently I have a big damn box bolted to the side my house with some heavy gauge wires coming out of the ground going into it with 1 thick gray cord going from that big box outside to my living room popping out of the floor and what appears to be about 35-40 foot of cord coiled up and Velcro strapped, with about a 3-4 foot tag end with a big phone cord lookin' tip piece plugged into my computer.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM

I take it you now have fibre to the premises rather than fibre to the Cabinet?

You need to plug your cable into the back of the router &#x2F; Hub that they provided you with. Not the modem.

This will then go online and the WI Fi password will be on the back of it.

You then click on the wireless network connections on your laptop and you will see your Hub &#x2F; Routers name.

Enter your password that is also on the back of your Hub &#x2F; Router.

Ads

04-28-2014, 06:44 PM

You will need a router the will broadcast a wireless signal for your laptop to receive the internet connection
otherwise you will have to plug the wire from the floor directly into your laptop.

i would contact my internet provider and request a router.

Good luck
04-28-2014, 06:48 PM

The cable is a plain network connection. It will allow connecting 1 machine wired. If you want wireless you need to get a cable type router to connect to the cable and then connect to the router wireless.
04-28-2014, 06:50 PM

you need to subscribe to an Internet Service Provider. The cheapest way is to get broadband to your house. then connect a router to it and then connect to that. alternatively you can subscribe to a cellular service, for this you need a cellular dongle, unless your machine has cell connection built in. More expensive.