This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
items that speed up crappy internet connection?
04-28-2014, 06:46 PM
items that speed up crappy internet connection?
I live in a semi rural area, the best providers don't come out to my house. We have internet and the fastest possible plan, I don't think the company is bad, just the area were in. Can I buy anything to speed our connection up? We have the best netgear router, but I've heard about things called "filters" that could help? I do a lot of gaming and its all turned into lag. Any suggestions are appreciated

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM

A better ISP.

Ads

04-28-2014, 06:56 PM

There's no item that can increase the speed of the Internet.
If you want a faster Internet, get a better ISP, or get a better method for your Internet.

Better routers only increase Internet speed by a very tiny margin, which will be unnoticeable.
04-28-2014, 07:04 PM

Hardware? No, unless you're doing the gaming over a network, in which case you might just need a better router. You can try messing with your TCP stack, but you probably won't get much out of that. Try disabling any unnecessary devices and services on the computer as well.
04-28-2014, 07:13 PM

If it's an ADSL filter you're talking about, they're just for separating the voice and data on the copper lines. Your phone company / ISP should have installed them if your phone and DSL are going over the same copper pairs, and if they aren't then they're unnecessary. You might want to look at satellite ISPs, they used to suck for things like gaming but I'm not sure about now.