This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What happens if I unknowingly bought a stolen cellphone?
04-28-2014, 07:18 PM
What happens if I unknowingly bought a stolen cellphone?
Okay... I'm freaking out here... A couple of months ago I bought a cellphone off of fb. Fb has these sales that you can buy in the community... Anyway I bought a Samsung from this guy and met him at Walmart. I can't retrieve the information that I bought from this guy cause I'm believing we did the transaction through text message and can't remember the date. Well my boyfriend and I waited to activate it at page plus until his other contract was over. So we go In to activate it. the guy tells us that we can't have the phone back because it was reported stolen they asked me were I got it. I told them etc and I told them I don't know exactly who I bought it from because it was a one time meet. So I immodestly went up to the state police and I told them my situation they said I should not worry about it. So I didn't. Then two days ago tribal police contacted me saying they need to talk to me about a stolen cell phone. And wanted me to write a police report so I did. What do I do? Scared

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 07:20 PM

First off, I expect they confiscated the phone. When you buy another phone, make sure you pick it up from someone at his home, some place where you can direct the police if it happens again. Keep a record of the ad (off Craigs List, if that is the source) and keep a record of their email address. The way you bought it was risky and, was just too easily likely a stolen phone. If someone lets you come to their home, chances are, the phone is good.

Tell the police everything you know. If you don't or if they think you are lying, they can charge you with possession of stolen property, attempting to use stolen property, and the charges amount from there. So, it is important that you be honest and help them in their investigation. Not assisting them in their investigation could result in a a charge of obstruction of justice.

Lastly, you are out the money you paid for the phone. Fortunately, it was not an expensive item and it is better to learn a lesson over an inexpensive item instead of one costing hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Ads

04-28-2014, 07:25 PM

First off, never speak to the police about being involved in any crime. It can never help and can almost certainly be used against you.

They have no way of proving you knew it was stolen. Case closed. Unless you are given immunity, you do not have to assist them in finding the actual criminal.
04-28-2014, 07:31 PM

You wrote down what happened, if they don't believe you then you will get charged for something. Either theft of the phone or accessory after the fact.