This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sharing a internet connection Getting error 123!?
04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Sharing a internet connection Getting error 123!?
Hello all, I am trying to share my internet connection but i keep getting the same error - Error 123 the filename, Directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect. This happens everytime i goto network connections right click my connection, properties, advanced tab then ticking the box Allow other network users to use this connection. I have also noticed that in services the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service is not started and when i select the option to start the service i get the same error!

Thanks for any help people can offer!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 08:04 PM

If you are trying to share a high-speed internet connection, the best way is to purchase a home router. They are inexpensive and easier to configure then ICS. Also, with ICS, your computer will need to be turned on whenever someone wants to use the internet off the other system and it will slow your computer down since it has to perform extra tasks (network routing) in addition to its normal workload.

Attempting to share a dial up connection with ICS is not recommended due to extreme lag on the second system.

Ads

04-28-2014, 08:12 PM

If you are on Dial Up Internet then the best thing to do would be to keep to two seperate modems, and use the internet when you need it on the actaul system instead of going through ICS.

however, only one system can access the internet at a time, unless you use two seperate lines.

if you are on broadband scrap the crossover cable and get a router, or wireless router.