This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
STRANGELY HIGH RAM USAGE IN DELL INSPIRON 14R 5437?
04-28-2014, 08:27 PM
STRANGELY HIGH RAM USAGE IN DELL INSPIRON 14R 5437?
My RAM usage is nearly 75%, is it okay? Should I buy another slot of 4Gb RAM?
I do not open heavy programs at all, only multitasking involving word processing tasks and web browsing. I already used Ccleaner to clean the system, nothing changed. I do not install too many programs, only enough (Avira, image viewer programs, chrome, mozilla, vlc player, winrar, I mean, standard stuffs).
I mean, even my desktop (win 7 64 bit) with the same amount of programs, the same way I use it, only consume 38% of its 2 x 1Gb corsair RAM. How come my laptop consume nearly 75% of its 1 x 4Gb RAM? Should I buy another slot of 4Gb RAM?

here is my spec
DELL Inspiron 14R 5437 (Core i3-4010U)
Intel Core i3-4010U, 4GB (1x 4GB) DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVD±RW, NIC, WiFi, Bluetooth, VGA NVIDIA GeForce GT740M 2GB, Camera, 14" HD, Win 8 64bit

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 08:33 PM

There is a fantastic tool in CCleaner. Go to Tools, Startup, Windows and see what is starting every time you boot your computer. (I think this is easier to use than msconfig.) There are many programs that belong here such as anti-virus and certain drivers. Acrobat Reader and your printer driver usually do not belong here. Right click on a program that does not need to run all the time and select Disable (not uninstall).

Google the name of a program you are unfamiliar with to see its function and if it is safe to disable.

EDIT: If this does not improve things then add another 4 gig of RAM. Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and have it scan your computer for the exact RAM you use. You don't have to buy from them but they guarantee that the RAM they recommend will work properly.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply