This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Laptop high memory usage problem?
04-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Laptop high memory usage problem?
I just recently installed malwarebytes and avast antivirus as I needed some computer protection and now everything has been using much higher memory.

Like for example browsing the web on any web browser (80mb per tab)

and svchost.exe (70mb)

and even windows explorer (45mb)

and other random things

Is this normal because my laptop is roaring due to this

The programs themselves are not using high memory and when I had the free Norton trial things weren't like this so its not a con of using a antivirus in general.

This literally started after the installation of one of these programs.
OK so i noticed that even with the anti virus in off mode things are the same.

everything including the CPU jump to very high percentages (like 70-80%) when i open something as simple as a browser

When opening Google chrome, multiple Google chrome task (like 3-4) are running when i am only running one single tab

25% in itself is fine but its at start up where nothing is running

is the svchost.exe thing temporary because i haven't seen it before which is why it has been concerning me

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Internet browsers will eat up your memory very fast. The scvhost is windows way of doing background updates for programs, so this too takes a lot of memory.

I remember an old virus program we had that sincerely lagged our system. I honestly would look into uninstalling your new program and getting something lighter. You might want to make sure this the issue first by turning off all antivirus software and seeing it improves. Some virus programs are so loaded to filter every click, every page, every breath your computer makes, that you can imagine how it is loading it down, even if it is not using memory.

Ads

04-28-2014, 08:42 PM

27% average memory usage is not high. In fact it's really good. You have nothing to worry about at the moment.

Edit: Web browsers are more complicated than you suppose. ^_^

Computers today have various power saving measures that dial back performance when not a lot is going on. In portable computers it helps save battery life when not connected to an outlet, for example. Starting a new program will naturally spike the CPU. It seems worse if the PC is running at one of these lower power states but I assure you that it's normal behavior.

Google Chrome spawns multiple processes. It separates various things, such as plugins like Flash, into their own processes instead of running them in the "main" process. That way if Flash were to suddenly crash it won't take out your entire browser session. This is not uncommon for a web browser. Firefox does something similar.

Finally svchost.exe stands for Service Host. Windows services went from using exe files to dll files. Thing is, dlls can't be loaded directly so they need a host which is where svchost.exe comes it. It's often used to group related Windows services together so you might have several of these running at any give time which is nothing to be concerned about.

There doesn't seem to be anything abnormal about your PC at this time.

– Dominic
04-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Always use only ONE Security software on any Device .
now remove any AV installed on your pc ,

then scan system with trend micro ATTK .

then purchase and use one good AV from trusty company same : trend micro , symantec , webroot or mcafee

Regards ,