This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the logic behind prayer?
04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
What is the logic behind prayer?
I mean do religious people intend to influence God's decision on a certain event, to take action where he wouldn't have otherwise? Doesn't us having "free-will" basically mean things are set in motion by us humans and we have to deal with the consequences of our actions and God will not intervene?

I mean it works that way when people describe the bad things that happen in life about how God gives us free-will and it is that that makes us essentially human and to have a choice. When a young girl is raped it is all right because the rapist has to have free will (clearly it doesn't matter about the young girl being raped or the child being murdered or whomever). So then what is the logic behind praying to change something outside our control and outside God's control as he can't intervene as it would take away someone's free-will?

Why do I see people rallying "prayer warriors" on facebook when someone's loved one gets sick or dies when they know it can't change anything even provided the person who they are praying to does exist. I realize it is done to feel some control over the situation but past that the logic behind it escapes me. I moved from a very non-religious place to Texas and it confuses me.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 09:04 PM

None

Peace

Ads

04-28-2014, 09:12 PM

There is no logic in prayer; only faith.
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM

It's an effective placebo... if you're delusional enough to believe it's real.
04-28-2014, 09:23 PM

The point of prayer is to grow in relationship with God. Nothing more. All other effects of prayer are tailored specifically for each relationship.
04-28-2014, 09:31 PM

No logic.

Praying to god or anything else has the same outcome.
04-28-2014, 09:33 PM

It's sort of a self-talk mentality. Like a mix between meditation and a placebo. And sometimes an excuse for doing nothing.
04-28-2014, 09:39 PM

There isnt one Really, your right I mean its the same as winning the lottery puting your energy into something that might or might not happen. Accept it for what it is , jt means nothing if god doesnt exist and I have yet to meet him, i mean thousands of people can tell me what he is like but so far none can present him physicaly for me.
04-28-2014, 09:41 PM

There is no logic behind prayer.
I think the word if faith.
04-28-2014, 09:48 PM

the logic is god told us to pray for the things we want and desire

no its not trying to influence god

Doesn't us having "free-will" basically mean things are set in motion by us humans and we have to deal with the consequences of our actions and God will not intervene?
no that is not what having free will means

So then what is the logic behind praying to change something outside our control and outside God's control as he can't intervene as it would take away someone's free-will?
your wrong god can interfere

Why do I see people rallying "prayer warriors" ?
god will grant us the desires of our heart if we his followers pray

Psalm 37:4
And delight thyself in the Lord, and he shall give thee thine heart’s desire.