This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to hide my Wifi password?
04-29-2014, 07:21 PM
How to hide my Wifi password?
Ok we have only the Admin account. i dont want to set up a guest account or any other account coz there are some issues.

But the problem is that my laptop connects to my wifi and when you select the connection properties anyone who uses the laptop can see the password and use is with other devices. is there a way i can hide that password without creating a seperate user account on my lappy?

i just dont want my niece to get hold of the password which she has done twice already coz she uses up all my data.

please help
Kyll: Its on a 4G network. we have a certain amount of data that i get a month and she just downloads movies and music and tv show on her mobile and ipad and uses all my data up.

creating a separate user account for her is difficult coz i have issues my lappy cant creat user accounts for some reason.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Make a user account for her. See if it shows up on that account. How does she use up your data? Are you using 3G or something or is it an actual internet connection?

Ads

04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

The way is to find the key in the registry where you can unlock the viewing of the WIFI Key.

For that, you have to find a Key where the value is "CElevateWlanUi"

In my case, it was in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Appid\{86F80216-5DD6-4F43-953B-35EF40A35AEE}.
Under this key you have 3 values :
•The first one (default) with the value "CElevateWlanUi"
•The second one AccessPermission of type Reg_Binary with a binary value (does'nt matter to understand what it means)
•The third one is called DllSurrogate with a null value.

The way I solved the problem is to setup the authorizations of the main Key {86F80216-5DD6-4F43-953B-35EF40A35AEE} by a right-click, then "autorizations".
After you have to take possession of this key.
I setup the owner as our domain administrator.
For that click on the the button "Advanced" then on the tab "owner" and replace TrustedInstaller by the administrator of my domain.
Then, I came back to the main panel of authorizations of the main key.
I deleted the entry LAP505\administrators and the entry LAP505\domain users, and added the entry for my domain administrator with all rights. (LAP505 is the computer name)
I applied all the modifications.
I repeated the operation for the second occurence of the key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classid\Appid\{86F80216-5DD6-4F43-953B-35EF40A35AEE}

And when I logged on with a user with local admin privileges, I could connect to WIFI network, I could access to the network center but I could'nt unmark the "Hide caracters". It works!"