This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do smart people hate Apple products?
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Why do smart people hate Apple products?
Now, I'm not generalizing intelligence here, but it seems like the majority of scientists, physicists, engineers, technology enthusiasts, PC builders, and any electronics salesman not working at an Apple Store all seem to frown upon Apple and its products.

A salesman at Best Buy once told me he wants to see the iPhone and Macbook Pro burn.

Big Bang Theory makes fun of Apple on their show.

There exists many hate comments towards Apple on popular Engineering facebook pages.

And there seems to be this mainstream joke about the "Apple Genius" at the Apple Store.

Now, why is it that the people who know the most about technology and science hate Apple?

Is there something these technology "smart" people know about Apple that everyone else doesn't?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Because apple products are terrible and smart people understand that.

Ads

i have a above average IQ and im a very rational person. and i like apple products. (except the i pad) and i work at a computer store and actually know whats good in the tech world. macs are not always the best but there are good.

edit: apple computers are made with the best intel CPU's and good at graphics too. not to mention the OS and hard ware are made perfectly to run together.

Apple prevents many of us 'smart' people from doing g things we could do on a normal PC. Apple is very strict, prevents you from many advantages that you have on a PC, a list so long idk where to start. One for example is upgrading. A normal PC you can take apart , apple must be sent in and be upgraded if that's even possible or you buy a new apple product. So PC is like living free, owning an apple product is like having very strict parents

Apple is "user friendly" which means it's made for people who have a disposable income and don't care to learn another operating system and can afford to run to the apple store and spend ridiculous amounts of money to fix their product (which never should have broken) when you should be able to fix it yourself. Technology savvy people do not buy apple products because they know better.

All the people I know choose the proper tool for the job and don't worry about the brand. For server side solutions, we often (but not exclusively) go with Linux (generally virtual machines off a high end Linux box or a Sun/Oracle server) for the flexibility and customization. For desktops, Microsoft is generally chosen since a majority of the business applications run exclusively on that platform. We do have some Mac systems for testing of our products and would use appropriate solutions as needed.

As for why smart people hate Apple products, I think it is mostly the fact that the products are "black boxes" that aren't really friendly to hobbyist. Scientist, physicist, engineers, and technology enthusiast prefer to "hack" and customize so open source is usually preferred.

For home use, sadly my 4 PCs are Microsoft Windows based since they are mostly for gaming and only runs on MS Windows. I wouldn't object to getting a Mac, but it simply doesn't meet my needs and I can't see spending a premium if it doesn't run the software I use. I do run Sun/Oracle VirtualBox and would love a Mac image, but Apple is very restrictive with their OS. I currently run an older Windows version (XP) and a few Linux distros (one designed to look like the Commodore 64...lol) to play around with them at home.

Many smart people have extreme issues with jealousy and an inability to accept that their personal preferences are not shared by others. Tends to be a strong guy issue - hate what is different from yours. I know plenty of engineers and physicists (my late dad was an engineer, my sister is a mathematician/space physicist.). Many have no issues with the Mac. It just doesn't do what they want it to do. In addition, the specific programming they need may only be available on pc or other platforms. They certainly don't hate it. Heck, half of them have iPads.

Just remember that it is a popular guy thing to downgrade what is most popular. I think it's low esteem issues.