This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet speed slowed down suddenly?
05-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Internet speed slowed down suddenly?
Recently my overall internet speed has taken a hit for some unknown reason and has slowed down noticeably.

I used to be able to load 1080p videos without ever needing to buffer or pause and now i have to wait 3-5 min to even watch a video in that quality.

As for online gaming my internet quality has taken a HUGE step down. Usual 3-5 bar games are unplayable. Even with friends i've played with before are having trouble staying connected or experiencing crippling lag and screen stutters.

For the usual internet use it hasnt changed too drastically but there are some noticeable problems.
Pages wont load even after numerous refreshes and my connection seems to have trouble loading more than 4 tabs at a time. Browsers crash during page load times.

For what its worth, i used to torrent frequently but never in excess, these problems started to show well into a time period where i haven't used torrents for months. My downloads were kept short and small without ever venturing to 10GB+ files. I've been experiencing this problem about 3 months or so and its been getting worse.

I have an Xfinity issued router due to my recent upgrade to their new system.

Why has my internet slowed down suddenly?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 11:19 AM

I'd have to ask just exactly what IS a 3 to 5 bar game.
Edit: Well, since you've posted 5 paragraphs of absolutely worthless details, I'd guess you mean your WIFI strength in bars. Your first mistake is using s home WIFI network for gaming and streaming. That's all you'll get without explicit details on your service package, your home network hardware, how many people are using it, etc etc etc

Ads

05-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Well it sounds like Xfinity might be throttling your speed. I'd try having them run a speed test and then ask why things have slowed down.

Also, how old is your modem? I've got DSL and when my modem was going out, I was getting crap speeds and drop outs as well. If the modem is old, I'd see if a new one would cure the problem.
05-05-2014, 11:29 AM

There may be problem in wiring of your internet connection. Get it checked.
05-05-2014, 11:31 AM

I think it's just that the net gets heavy usage at certain times and many sites update their programs often. One problem is more features, more advertising and less speed. Of course bug can also be involved. Call some dealers and see if they will run a test on it for free. They get paid for fixing those thing and you might get a free estimate to find out what's wrong.
05-05-2014, 11:38 AM

ALL your answers were WORTHLESS.