This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My email is sending itself phising emails?
05-06-2014, 06:30 AM
My email is sending itself phising emails?
My email account, hotmail, has been sending me phising emails. The emails are claiming to be from apple and tell me that my icloud account has been frozen and it requires my icloud email and password and also credit card information including PIN number and the security code. The links take me to websites that are not linked to apple.

How do I stop this

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 06:40 AM

Your email account has been hacked. DO NOT input any personal info into those websites or even visit them.

First, download an anti virus scan if you don't have one (I recommend Malwarebytes Anti Malware), remove internet cable, start up the computer in safe mode and run the virus scan and once it gets rid of any virus', malware, adware or spyware then open the start menu and search for msconfig (if using XP use run programs and search for msconfig) run it and go to the services tab, at the bottom select "Hide all Microsoft services" and look for suspicious programs that are set to run once you turn on your computer (like programs and dll's you know don't belong, can use Google to help decide if something suspicious is legit or not) then uncheck them so they don't run on startup. Now go to the startup tab and repeat the previous step of searching for suspicious programs and dll's and unchecking them, after that's done press apply and ok, a window will ask to restart windows, let it. You should now be safe from virus'

Once you're sure your computer is clean then you can plug your internet back in. Now go to your email client and change your password, make sure it is something completely different (e.g. don't just add or remove a number/letter) and preferably a long password of numbers and letters. You should now be virus free and have removed the intruder from being able to access your email. You should also inform the email support staff of the breach so they can update security if needed.

Hope I helped

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply