This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will IT (information technology) field be hard for a 40 y/o to break into?
10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Will IT (information technology) field be hard for a 40 y/o to break into?
My mom wants to get into IT. it was her original choice b4 she had me but things happened. She took a few tests back then and would always score VERY well, even above the usual. Those were tests on her knowledge of IT and to get into the schools.

Now some 20 years later tired of the strain from nursing (but she still loves nursing also) she wants to get back into it. she looked online and all the reviews saying how hard it is and how its not worth the money.. shes already older and you have to compete with kids born along side the .com era where internet is basic knowledge to my gen.

Will it be hard for her to get into it? How is the IT market right now? With new things like iPhone reinventing "smart phones" there should be a wide range right? Plus now we have facebook, twitter.. video game systems with their features like PlayStation HOME & Project NATAL, the iPad... with all these new things it should be relatively easy to get a job right? She is really turned off now after reading reviews, although she does want to do it. About how long will it be before she can get a great position at a company?

I have no idea how this IT stuff works so if you're experienced on the subject what can I tell her?
She is a beginner. Starting from scratch with basic knowledge.
She wants to be network admin

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM

depends on what type of IT she's interested into and also depends on experience

Ads

IT is good because it never leaves, it just evolves like you said. It can be difficult to come in with basically no training and start from scratch. When your 20 its easier because you have time to work your way up and the employer will expect you to stay for awhile. But if she tries hards and gets the proper education, yeah she could do it, but she will need to know how to work all of the latest gear like all the Blackberrys and iPhones because she will have to set them up for the people that work for her company. Like port all the e-mails to the phones and stuff like that. It could be stressful at times but if she really has her mind set to it than go for it! She is going to have to try 2x as hard though.

Pretty Sure I do....IT admin 7 years...

Brian Mango has no idea what a network admin actually does.

I suggest picking up a CCNA book and starting from page 1. It will encompass everything from IP addressing to setting up dynamic routing protocols on LAN. The majority of enterprise networking equipment is from Cisco. By studying and certifying in CCNA, you can easily get any entry level network administration position.