This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First wireless printer--why does it appear all by itself as a wireless connection?
05-06-2014, 09:12 PM
First wireless printer--why does it appear all by itself as a wireless connection?
There is an option to connect to it (printer) as if it was a wireless box and I tried to do that thinking that maybe that was the only way I could use it, but when I connect there is no internet access anyway. The printer is working fine with our normal wireless router and I don't understand why the printer is calling itself a wireless connection.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Because the printer becomes basically a hotspot. Since it needs to receive and send data. All you could do is hide the SSID

Ads

05-06-2014, 09:39 PM

Some HP printers and others do have web connectivity built-in, but without having the model number, I can't tell you if yours is one of them. What model is it?

A.
05-06-2014, 09:43 PM

A wireless printer can connect directly to a wireless computer if desired, but a wireless device, like a wireless computer, can only connect to one wireless device at a time. So, when your computer is connected to the printer directly, you cannot get wireless access to the wireless router and internet and vice-versa.

Ideally, you setup the wireless printer to connect directly to a wireless router, which can talk to multiple wireless devices at a time, and then all computers connected to the router will have access to print to the printer.

It all depends on how you setup the wireless connections.