This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Copyright Laws?
05-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Copyright Laws?
So I recently changed all of my social media names to BrunetteAmbitionn and one of my favorite actress Lea Michele has a book thats coming out called Brunette Ambition. I plan on using the name to become a Youtuber and sell t shirts and stuff. I'm only 16 so a girl can dream. Does she have copyright laws over the name or anything that I should know about. I'm just curious thanks. No rude comments

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 05:07 AM

best to think of an original name to prevent confusion
and litigation

Ads

05-07-2014, 05:08 AM

You should start coming up with a new name.
05-07-2014, 05:12 AM

If it's a celebrity name, and it's their brand, you could easily be taken to court over it because it would be a trademark violation.
05-07-2014, 05:14 AM

Copyright doesn't apply to names or titles. However, they can be protected as trademarks or "brands" on things. The title of a book is not a trademark, at least not until it is used in a series, as an indication of source (e.g., "... For Dummies" or "...Die Hard...").

A trademark can generally only be enforced to prevent a "likelihood of confusion" among your respective markets. If you're not selling a book or anything related to the book, it may be difficult for anyone to stop you. For instance, if you have a hair-care product called "Brunette Ambition", it's not clear they could prevent you from marketing it, unless you use the same picture from the cover of their book or something. There is also a "dilution" law that applies to "famous" brands that have broader recognition than a single product or service.

Trademark cases are often determined by artsy "feel" issues, where there is an argument that you're intentionally coat-tailing on the fame of the brand.