This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Im trying to share a internet connection through 1 computer?
05-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Im trying to share a internet connection through 1 computer?
I would like to share a internet connection through 1 computer out of the three on my network. I currently got a normal network setup with a router a hub and a shared internet connection between all the computer. So the question is how would i set it up to go through 1 computer.The computer i whant to be the internet connection sharer has 2 network interface cards.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 06:01 AM

Upgrade the Main Computer to a server, and then it will work.
Outside of that, not a good idea, better to keep the router or upgrade the router firmware

Ads

05-07-2014, 06:08 AM

Ok, here is the physical connections.

Wall to modem.
Modem to router
Router to computer #1 Ethernet #1 (Internet Computer)
Hub to computer #1 Ethernet #2
All other computers Ethernet to Hub

Now on Computer #1 you need to Bridge the two ethernet connections. Goto Network Connections and right click on one of the LAN connections and select bridge connections.

Also, on computer #1 ethernet connection #2 and all the computers connected to the hub you need to set the IP Addresses and subnet manually.
05-07-2014, 06:16 AM

For around $50US you are a lot better off and more secure going with a NAT router (I'm presuming you're using ADSL or Cable.) The hardware boxes include something called NAT which makes it harder for attackers to access your computer. You don't get that kind of security when using Microsoft's internet connection sharing.
05-07-2014, 06:21 AM

Microsoft Windows has something called ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, and it is part of the O.S. itself. - Set the computer that connects directly to the Internet to use ICS, then any other computer using Windows through that network will automatically detect the machine configured with ICS and use that connection to connect to Internet.

Find "My Network Places", click on "Set up a home or small office network", click Next a couple times until you see:

"This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers in my network connect through this computer."

Click on that one, and "Next", then select your NIC card (your network device), you'll see your computer name and description, that is optional, continue with "Next", give it a workgroup name, whatever you choose is fine, just make sure all the computers share the same workgroup. Then you will see the area where you select whether you want to share files and printers, you can select that or leave it off it's up to you, that won't affect your connection to Internet.

Hit "Next" a couple times and you are set. Then go to your other computer(s) and see if it works. Then you should be able to have Internet connections on your other computer(s) as well as the one connected directly to Internet.

What is happening then, is that the one connected to Internet is used as a gateway, just as a hardware router would do, and data is transfered back and forth between that computer and the rest through special ports and protocols that are part of Windows itself.

I hope this helped somehow. Smile