This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My ex broke up with me and said I could do better than her. What did she mean?
05-07-2014, 06:41 PM
My ex broke up with me and said I could do better than her. What did she mean?
My ex and I broke up (She dumped me) because she was leaving the state to study at University. When she broke up with me (Over text, by the way) she said that she'd like to remain friends. I accepted (However reluctantly) because at this stage I thought there was a chance we could get back together.

When we were together, I introduced her to my friends. They enjoyed her company and they started texting and snapchatting each other (Something I didn't have a problem with at the time because I interact with some of my friends' partners in a similar manner).

After we broke up and before she left, we met a couple of times. She always comforted me about the break up saying things like, "I can do better than her" and "That I didn't want to go long distance." When she left the state, contact on her part became pretty much non-existent. But, she continued to text and snapchat my friends.

Now, last weekend I noticed her change her profile picture on Facebook to one of her and my best mates. They made no effort to tell me what was going on and it wasn't until I pressed my friend about it that he told me they were an item and that they weren't sure how to reveal themselves as a couple (I'm guessing because of me).

It turns out they'd agreed to meet up (Behind my back) and start seeing each other (Or I don't know how long it had been going on for). They met through me and while they don't need to seek permission per se, but a little heads up would have been respectful.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Some people, when they want to break up with somebody, they try to justify it by saying they are doing it for your own good because you can do better than them. Sometimes its because they don't want to say the real reason, or sometimes it could be a legit warning. Would she have cheated on you with your friend while you were dating?

Ads

05-07-2014, 06:59 PM

that's an awkward situation, and they were clearly feeling very awkward about it, but at least that means they took your feelings into consideration a tiny bit. I know it seems hard, but you have to accept that she felt more of a connection with this guy than she did with you. That does NOT mean you weren't good enough, that there was any failing on your part or that you did anything wrong, it simply means that you weren't right for her, and she's one of millions of people in the world who you could end up with. They probably just felt worried that you'd resent them, you'd not want to be friends with your guy friend any more or you'd think she cheated on you with him when you were still together..something like that. And nobody likes confrontation, so they were shying away from the big reveal. You're bound to feel a bit deflated but you have to be calm and rational. Like i said, remember, there are millions of people in the world and you and her weren't compatible- she was perhaps more compatible with your friend. You haven't done anything wrong- there's nothing wrong with you. Also , you don't own people, your friends or the girl you used to date. Nobody belongs to each other, everyone thinks and acts differently. Thats the nature of humanity, naturally we all have our own morals and standards and where they don't overlap, we get dissapointed with others and think 'how could they do that?'. Often, its not out of spite, its simply because we're all so different and think and act in different ways. Try to let it go and move past it. There is someone out there right for you.
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Your question and narration are quite confusing so please bear with me. First things first, to answer your question &quot;what does you can do better means?&quot; You already answered your own question on your narration. Your ex-girlfriend is trying to be nice. Life is full of surprises, we&#x27;d never know what will happen in the future. As much as it hurts you to know that your friend and ex-girlfriend is now a couple, you couldn&#x27;t speculate that they won&#x27;t be together if not for you. Yes, the circumstance is that they met through you, but who knows, maybe their paths would have crossed with or without you. Just be thankful that once in your life, she&#x27;s been part of your life. When she said you could do better, it&#x27;s time for you to move on, learn from the lessons in the past and you&#x27;ll have a better relationship in the future.
05-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Damn man, get over her. And that is NOT your best friend. Find another girl, tons of cute girls out here. You used the term mate, I&#x27;m guessing your from either the UK or Australia. TONS OF BADD GIRLS OUT THERE TO GET WITH. Look man, I know it&#x27;s not easy, but you have to try. EF YOU SEE KAY HER! Seriously! She ain&#x27;t worth es aitch Eye tea.