This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do i have to manually unblock a file through properties every time i download a file?
05-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Why do i have to manually unblock a file through properties every time i download a file?
Every time i download a file that loads to Microsoft Office (word, power point, excel), the file will not be opened unless i manually go to that file in the download folder, go to properties, and hit unblock. Is there a way for me to change some settings so that newly downloaded files will just automatically load out? I haven't had this problem before until this laptop. It's a Windows 8 Acer, intel i5 and that's the only problem i am facing. I'm also downloading files through Google Chrome and not Internet Explorer.
I'm using GOOGLE CHROME. Not Internet Explorer. If you have a solution to my problem please tell me about it in GOOGLE CHROME. Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Windows will automatically mark downloaded files with a "zone identifier" (via 'alternate data stream') to warn you of the file's origin (and help safeguard against possible malware attacks).

You can use this freeware tool to remove the zone ID:
http://www.gasanov.net/ZoneIDTrimmer.asp
It lets you do so for multiple files, and with a single context menu command.

You might be able to add sites to IE's Trusted Zone to prevent zone IDs from being added to downloads.

Zone IDs can be entirely disabled in versions of Windows that allow Group Policy Editor to run:
User Configuration>Administratives Templates>Windows Components>Attachement Manager, Enable "Do not preserve zone information in file attachement"

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply