This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
internet speed not hitting expectation?
05-08-2014, 10:48 PM
internet speed not hitting expectation?
Not long ago, I signed up for a 200MB/S internet connection plan with my internet service provider. I did a speed test using my shitty netbook (MSI Wind U100) and it showed a download speed of around 35MB/S. I'm using an Aztech HL110EP wall plug to connect my LAN cable from the modem on the first floor of my house to my computer on the second floor. My netbook is only able to support up to 100MB/S because of the shitty ethernet port, that I concede, but the Aztech wall plug powerline activity light on both the modem side as well as my laptop's side are red. From what I see online, it seems to mean that my internet connectivity will be 40MB/S and below. So I would like to know how I could solve such a problem.

Also, from the Aztech HL110EP datasheet (ftp://ftp.aztech.com/aztech/Brochure/Dat...heet.pdf), it is written "10/100 Mbps AutoMDI/MDIx". Does this mean that the wall plug can only support up to 100MB/S? the wall plug though writes 200MB/S. So I would like to ask what the above meant, why my powerline activity is stuck at 40MB/S and below, as well as whether my wall plug can support the internet connection provided and if I need to upgrade it.

p.s: Im buying a new laptop soon, so let's put the inability to hit 200MB/S connection because of my shitty netbook out of the question
Doing a direct LAN cable connection from the modem to my shitty netbook harnesses a speedtest download of 70 to 90MB/S, which seems about there with my netbook capacity, which is why I knew the problem was with the Aztech wall plug.

Using my wall plug, my download speed for a site like 4shared.com is around 200KB/S. Is that normal even for a speedtest download speed of 40MB/S? I was quite disappointed when I didnt see any improvement in download speed when I upgraded to my 200MB/S fibre connection from my 10MB/S broadband connection.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM

Well first of all, when you sign up for Internet, they give you bits per second, not and bytes per second. So I'm not sure what number you are using for download speeds but that's usually bytes per second, which is bits X 8. Not sure where, how you measured your speed but that's one thing..

And yes, your laptop wold definitely be a slow down on speed especially if it's old, or just bad overall.

If your place has the right wires to carry 200 you'll be okay but if that wall plug and it's wires are not changed you should max at 100.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply