This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can't Connect PC to "Server PC" in Active Directory?
05-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Can't Connect PC to "Server PC" in Active Directory?
This is what I've done step by step:

Server PC (Windows Server 2008 R2)
1. Got a PC and reformatted it to "Windows Server 2008 R2"
2. Went to Server Manager
3. Installed Active Director
4. Made a Domain named MyDom.local (got the .local name from this walkthrough http://www.howtogeek.com/99323/installin...-2008-r2/)
5. Went to Local Area Connection
6. Properties then Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
7. When entering an IP address I just put random numbers but not exceeding 255, my current ip that I put is 192.168.50.150, the subnet is 255.255.255.0, the default gateway is 192.168.50.1
8. For the DNS server I also put random numbers and my current dns is, 150.50.50.1
9. After that I pressed ok and went to my User PC

User PC
1. I right clicked computer
2. Properties
3. Change Settings
4. Then I pressed the change button
5. In the Member of, I put in MyDom.local and pressed ok
6. Then an error saying "an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

What did I do wrong?

Oh and I have another question regarding changing ip addresses in Local Area Connection Properties, when I do it I loose internet connection how can I connect to Computers (w7 and w server) but still have internet connection?
Thanks Everyone
@Rankine Zero
Thanks for answering, here is an additional info on what/why I did:
1. About the number 7 sorry but I was watching a tutorial and the guy didn't explain his address so I made mine up
2. I forgot to mention in the "User PC" I also changed its ip and domin to what the ip and domain of my "Server PC" is.
3. I tried what you said and it gave me an error: DNS name does not exist
Sorry forgot to mention I am using a router, my "user PC" connects to a router via Lan cable(rj45) and also my "network PC"

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Your point number 7 threw me in a bit of a loop.
What part of entering random numbers for a IP seemed like a good idea ?

Set it back to automatic so your DHCP server can assign it a proper IP so it can join your network again.
Same for your DNS servers.

Then try to see if you can connect to your server which now hopefully is on the same subnet as your client.

Ads

05-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Client computers running contain network adapters that, by default, have TCP/IP set for DHCP. After these client computers connect to the network with a network cable, they automatically obtain the necessary DHCP information from the server. Users then open Microsoft Internet Explorer and browse to the network setup Web site.
05-09-2014, 08:21 PM

The IP address for DNS server on your server should be the same as the one above, 192.168.50.150 and remove the the IP address for gateway

On the PC, you need to change the IP address to static and put in an IP address like 192.168.50.200 and then below for DNS Server enter 192.168.50.150.

You need to do this prior to trying to enter the network.

At Rankine Zero, the IP address for a domain controller needs to be static.
05-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id...usion.html