This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How I can share my internet connection over a workgroup LAN. Win XP internet sharing doesn't work!?
05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
How I can share my internet connection over a workgroup LAN. Win XP internet sharing doesn't work!?
I used 192.168.0.1 IP for the station that have internet connection and shared the internet connection, the main question is how I can force other stations on the lan to find and use the shared connection but please let me know if there is another solution.
regards, B. Nasseri
I've a small workgroup network, that contains 4 stations and 2 printers and a wireless BB modem connected via USB port to one of my workstations, this station's IP is 192.168.0.1 and I'm trying to share this modem and internet connection over this small LAN. I know there's router solution but please let me know the cheapest way, by the way I used windows internet sharing but it didn't work!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Im not to sure how your doing this. Im assuming your using a router, simply because that would be the best way, and about the only way. We're going to need a little more information, or atleast I will before I can help you.

Ads

05-09-2014, 09:50 PM

If you have several computers, you don't want them to share one internet connection by using WinXP's shared internet connection. Mainly because that will force all the other people's bandwidth through your computer, which will slow it down - a LOT.

The right answer here is to set up a router and then link the other computers to the router. If you are using a cable modem for your connection, you can plug the cable modem into the WAN port on the router, then all the other computers into LAN ports.

Are you trying to monitor children or employees? You can configure routers to block access to certain types of sites or install keystoke loggers (which I personally find abhorrent and would only recommend in extreme cases).

Please provide more details.