This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Parkinson's Disease NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!?
05-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Parkinson's Disease NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!?
My dad has had Parkinson's Disease for about 12 years now, he was diagnosed as early onset so he's still young for a Parkinson's patient. I'm having an EXTREMELY difficult time motivating him to change his life because he will do nothing to help himself (exercise, eat right, be positive) I know I cannot force him to change but I would really like to motivate him to do so. It is very frustrating for my family to watch him suffer and not do a thing to help himself. He's had DBS on both sides so he's tremor free, nothing is really stopping him from doing something except himself. If anyone has experienced the same thing with a loved one, or have ANY advice at all on what I can do, please anything at all will work, please answer my question! This is a real struggle that I am determined to change!! Thank you!!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 12:13 AM

The only thing you can really do is be there for him when he needs you. He is probably depressed if he does not do anything to help himself. The thing I have learned over time is that you cannot make anyone change, they can only change when they finally decide that they want to for themselves. All you can do is be by your dads side and hope that someday he will finally make the choice to start making the effort towards healthy changes.

Ads

05-10-2014, 12:26 AM

I agree with JS. Parkinsons often causes depression. A common manifestation of mild depression is lack of motivation and procrastination. Maybe you could convince your dad to make an appointment with his doc to talk about depression. Or maybe convince him to take an online assessment:

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/
05-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Please see if you can find him a support group in your area. Go with him in the beginning to show your support. Maybe you could offer to join a gym or the Y with him. Moving and interacting with people is the best medicine for depression with PD.
If he uses the computer, ask him to check out some of the PD groups on facebook. There is one called " Young Onset Parkinson's disease". And one called " Deep Brain Stimulation". Both are full of very helpful upbeat people who are eager to talk about anything dealing with the disease. They have become like family to me and my husband who was diagnosed with young onset PD 21 years ago. He had DBS 12 years ago and is still going strong and enjoying life. He just decided early on to not let it get him down and to never be ashamed of it. Everybody has things to overcome in life. And good for you for caring enough to help him. You are a fantastic daughter. No matter what happens you will always be able to know you tried your best.