This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
laptop internet connection ??
05-10-2014, 09:06 AM
laptop internet connection ??
Hello,
I don't know how to set up an internet connection on my laptop. So far I have installed a modem and a LAN driver from my installation cd. I want to connect using a cable (Ethernet). I have created a connection (broadband) and have plugged the cable into the laptop but don't know where to go from here.
How do I do this exactly??
And please....if someone can explain it in simple layman terms! hehe
Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 09:15 AM

Sure. Just pop open the manual for your router, and follow it through.

Some docs are also here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/internet/C/connect.html

Ads

05-10-2014, 09:31 AM

If you're working in Windows, it's quite simple to set up a broadband connection. Here's what you'll need to do...

1. Go to Control Panel --> Network Connections. You should have a network connection for each NIC (Network Interface Card) you've got installed. Because you're on a laptop, you should only have one Ethernet card.

2. You'll want to right click on that Local Area Connection and click on Properties. A new dialog will pop up.

3. You'll have a small list in the center of this dialog. Find the item there marked "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Select it, then click the Properties button underneath.

4. You'll want to have an IP address assigned automatically. Check the two boxes that let you do that. Click OK to go back one dialog box.

5. Finally, check the little box that says "Show icon in notification area when connected".

6. Now connect the Ethernet cable to your laptop. Keep an eye on the Network Connections window you opened from Control Panel. Also, look to the bottom right of your screen. There should be a small icon that looks like two computers, possibly with a red X over them.

7. Give the computer a second to recognize the internet connection. The little computers in the bottom right of the screen should change from a red X to lights flashing back adn forth on their minute screens. In the Network Connections window, local area connection should become active. If you double click it, it should say "Connected" towards the top of the dialog.

Any more specific problems, post another question.