This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
*URGENT* I have an annual review/salary negotiation today. What should my salary be?
05-10-2014, 11:50 AM
*URGENT* I have an annual review/salary negotiation today. What should my salary be?
I work for a marketing firm for $8/hr. I have been with them for a full year now. Graduated from a University in May 2013 with a degree in Communications w/ Emphsis in Marketing. At this firm:

I manage a client within the firm, by myself. I am the only person who does work for this client.
The client is an emerging beverage company (they have gone viral over the past year)
The beverage company has 3 main products
I manage 3 social media accounts (FB, Twitter, Instagram) for each product: 9 total social accounts
I create content, develop strategy and campaigns for all of the accounts
I create and maintain FB and Twitter ads
I consult the beverage company on regular marketing efforts and strategies
I report social media performance analytics to the President and CEO of the beverage company
I manage the beverage company's LinkedIn and YouTube accounts as well.
I have accompanied the Pres. and CEO of the beverage co. to trade shows.
I essentially manage the entire social media community
I drive sales by directing people to the website
The beverage company does on average, $80,000 per day online in sales
I develop and conduct giveaways, contests, and other campaigns to drive sales/engagement
When i took over this client, they were adding less than 5 retailers per month. NOW, they are averaging over 100 added retailers per month.
The beverage company was recently valued at $13 million after just 2 years of active business
I have grown their social followings from meager/small to accounts with followers in the low 5-digit range, and they are growing everyday, exponentially.

I have a review very soon, and cannot find definitive information about salary regarding my situation: working for a firm, managing a client's social, but the client has 9 social accounts, which I manage and engage with before, during, and after normal hours. What should I be paid??
Also, I work in Irvine, CA right in the middle of Orange County, CA.
The firm I work for OWNS 20% of this beverage company. The owner of my firm, and President of the beverage company know each other from college. That is how the beverage company became one of our clients

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM

An employee with a Bachelor degree with the responsibilities you described should probably be in a salaried position earning at least $30,000-$35,000 annually.

Salary numbers are difficult for outsiders to estimate because every company and job is different. Also, high cost areas like NYC, Boston, Chicago and LA require additional pay. Look at salary.com to get ideas.

Regardless, a college degree warrants much more than $8/hour. Begin brushing up your resume.

Ads

05-10-2014, 12:18 PM

How many of those on-line sales can you directly tie to your social media efforts? How much in sales comes from the contest/giveaways, etc. How many of the added retailers can be tied to social media directly? Have you been measuring the success of social media in terms of ROI, etc. Without hard numbers you can't measure your impact (just your workload which is okay but doesn't show your contributions to the company's success).

I would look for a 50 cent to a $1 per hour raise if you can prove your financial worth to the company.
05-10-2014, 12:31 PM

The success of the beverage company is nice and all, but you work for the marketing company. You need to focus your discussion as to how your efforts are benefiting your employer, not your employer's client. Is the client spending more on your employer's marketing services? That's the type of growth your bosses are going to be interested in.

All that said, it sounds like you're doing a good job and $8/hr sound pretty freaking low for a college grad. I'm assuming that your employer thinks college marketing grads are a dime a dozen and wants to see them prove themselves first. If you think you've done that, shoot for the moon, ask for at least a couple dollars an hour.
05-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Have you consulted Salary.com? The issue here is that marketing, client management and campaign management can be difficult to valuate in terms of what your salary should be in relation to your total compensation. Basically, what should you be getting paid...based on whether or not you are getting any benefits such as profit sharing, paid health insurance, etc.,etc. I would say that in today's economy, you should expect a 10% increase, assuming that the company met its goals and then work with your manager to determine an appropriate course of action for next year in order to earn you a greater increase next year.