This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What type of router should I buy?
05-11-2014, 11:58 AM
What type of router should I buy?
I don't have much of a computer knowledge, that's why I am bit of confused. I want a router to use wireless internet on my laptop anywhere just in the house.
I have LAN cable broadband PPPoE connection from i-on devois ISP. So what type of router should I buy? With modem or without? some say ADSL routers don't work with broadband ?
Please help

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2014, 12:02 PM

d-link is bast

Ads

05-11-2014, 12:06 PM

it depends on your internet connection type

by the sounds your on cable internet and so no ADSL will not be suitable for you you will need a cable modem (often provided by the ISP) from there you can feed that into a router without any issues

(look for a router with 802.1 b/g/n)

Netgear are a good place to start
05-11-2014, 12:12 PM

Choosing a new router isn't easy. Modern routers offer a lot of high-end features including DLNA media streaming, NAS capabilities, remote sharing features, guest networks, IPv6, and more besides. That's on top of the more straightforward 802.11n wireless connectivity, Ethernet ports and broadband capabilities. So specify your needs properly . Mainly D-link is best router provider company .
05-11-2014, 12:21 PM

First, never buy a combo modem and router.

Secondly, what devices do you have to connect to the wifi router? or plan to? the newest technology is AC; however, you may not have an AC devices right now so right now a wifi N router maybe fine. But then what happens if you get some new devices in the next few yrs that will be AC.

And anyone that says D-link is the best router company doesn't know what they are talking about. The best router on the market today is made by ASUS, followed by Netgear and Linksys(the consumer brand of Cisco)
05-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Depends on the type of wireless card that you have in your laptop. Wireless has changed over the years, and is usually found , "G" and "N", "N" is the fastest and an "N" speed router will also work with G and B/ So if you do not know the speed of your card, go with an "N" router.

Beyond that, they all run the exact same protocol, called 802.11 after the section of wireless standards that defines how it works. So any brand of router will work the same. There will be some differences in the interface (which the pages of settings and information look like), but they all work the same.

One suggestion is that you can your ISP (who ever you will be getting your Internet from) and ask them if they recommend certain models. If you purchase one of their recommended models then they will often offer support for the router for you. They may also have a recommended router that they will sell or least to you. Again, if you get the router from them, you get support to go with the router.
05-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Dear

Please get any simple Dlink or TP link Router. Both give good range and services.
Just plug Ethernet Cable your wifi router get IP from DHCP Service of your Service Provider Modem. But it was on default setting and everyone can enjoy your Internet service in your neighbour Smile. So please configure your router and place a secure password. get help from the Router Provider.

Regards
S@gi