This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enabling internet connection sharing between 2 PCs?
05-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Enabling internet connection sharing between 2 PCs?
Hi,
I have my pc connected to the internet through a router using a lan cable and my laptop connected using another cable sometimes and wifi other times.

Because i often transfer huge files between them and because my router is only 10/100 i decided to get me a second network card and a 5e cable to enable gigabit connection between them.
It's working ok after some tweaking around but most i could get out of it is both computers seeing each other and the ability to remotely connect to either, but i had no luck enabling internet connection sharing.
whenever i do it it usually screws up my desktop's own connection and i get no internet at all so i have to revert the settings.
Current settings are as follows:
PC, Connection 2:
ip 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 and default gateway is 10.0.0.2 (without the gateway it doesn't see the other one
laptop, only connection:
ip 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0 and default gateway is 10.0.0.1

my PCs 1st connection, the one i use to access the router is
ip 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.1.1

I would buy a gigabit router but i couldn't afford it at the moment plus i know that this thing works, just takes some time.

thank you
thanks for your reply.
no i am not using both wireless and cable connections at the same time.
i wanted to coonect my laptop through my computer using gigabit connection, for file transfer.
And then if needed access the internet through my PC's other connection

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 06:17 AM

I'm guessing slightly, but I think your problem is that if you don't have a server version of Windows, you can only have one Internet connection at a time. Having a wireless card AND a hard cable doesn't matter because the system only allows one address. It seems to be a software limitation.

Your more direct symptoms indicate to me that your wireless requires DHCP but your hard wired connection cannot support that. (It has no DHCP server on that connection.) Thus you have conflicting situations. A 10/100 card should normally be plenty for local file transfers. Just be sure that you force the cards to both accept 100 MHz, because it is not an automatic thing that they would do so. If the cards are set for auto-sense and the first thing they sense happens to be 10 MHz, that is what you get. If you force the issue, you get the right speed every time.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply