This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Remote access without an internet connection?
05-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Remote access without an internet connection?
I have two standalone computers, both running Win XP, that I have directly connected using a network cable (ie no router), so that they can read each other's shared drives.

My question is, are there any methods of implementing remote desktop access without having to create an internet connection, so that I don't need to keep swapping the monitor over from one to the other?

I have tried RealVNC but that requires an internet connection, and when I try to connect via Windows Remote , an error message appears saying that there is no terminal server. Any ideas?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 08:06 PM

I couldn't exactly understand what you are asking, but you can use UltraVNC (best vnc client out there, and best of all it's free)

And connect to the other pc with the local IP (if you have a router connecting between them)

If you do not have a router, you would need to buy a KVM switch

~ NetSploit

Ads

05-12-2014, 08:17 PM

VNC does not need an internet connection. Have you used a cross-over cable, without a switch or router you must do this? You also need to configure the tcp/ip settings manually. If you get the browsing working any vnc will work.
05-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Hmm...

If you are using a crossover cable (if I understand you correctly), you SHOULD be able to connect using the ip address.