This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why wont my internet explorer shortcut take me to the internet?
05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
why wont my internet explorer shortcut take me to the internet?
i recently bought a refurbished computer (windows xp prof.) it works fine except that when i click on the E for internet explorer it does not take me to the internet. it says "internet explorer cannot display this webpage". my internet is working b/c when i click on the yahoo shortcuts it goes right where it's supposed to(right to yahoo). but when i click on the ie shortcut it does not. what can i do (in lay mans terms please)? thanks so much.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM

Change your homepage ... what is in the address bar when it says it can't display the webpage? Probably a web address that doesn't exist.

Ads

05-12-2014, 10:09 PM

When you reloaded XP there may have been a copying error. Go to the page you want for a home page. Reduce the size of your browser window so you can see the web page and also see your desktop. put your cursor on the address in the address bar and left click and hold it, drag and drop it onto the desktop. If you have trouble with that just copy and paste it to the desk top, either way should work. Then close the browser. Click on the new icon on the desktop to make sure it works, and delete the old e icon off the desktop.
05-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Try clicking on the E when the cannot display page message appears - click on Tools in the menu bar, and Internet Options from the drop down list
click the general tab
in the text box erase what is in there and retype the address of the page you want to have IE start on
example

http://www.yahoo.com/