This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can someone's router I'm using see what I do on my laptop?
05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Can someone's router I'm using see what I do on my laptop?
So say I go to a friend or relatives house and use their wifi for internet. Since they pay for it and the modem or router they use belongs to them, is it possible they can gain access to whatever I do on my own laptop or see what I do? I had to ask this because every time I use my cousin's router he always gets on his computer, whenever I get off he does, when I get on so does he. If he can see everything I do I don't feel comfortable with it, and don't tell me to confront him about it. If he can see what I do I want to beat him at his own game. Is there a way I can keep what I do private so nobody else sees? Or can private surfing only work for routers? I'm confused about private networking between computer/laptops and modems/routers. Please explain to me, would it be illegal?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2014, 11:51 PM

anyone is able to access what goes in and out of their wifi network. but that only means they can see what you do on the internet not everything you do.

Ads

05-15-2014, 12:05 AM

If it says http in front of the web address ANYONE else on the network can see what your doing if they have the right programs (only your internet activity). If it says https it means the connection is encrypted so nobody can see it.

You can setup en encrypted connection between your laptop and another computer at your house, which then forwards the request to the website your going to, so if your at another persons house, or McDonald, ect, the other people there can't see what your doing.
Basically, you set it up so you secretly ask a computer at your house to ask google to search for something instead of you just asking google to search for something where you are.

Hope thats not to confusing.

PS your cousin probably doesn't know how to look at your stuff, or care
05-15-2014, 12:20 AM

Router can't see what you do,router can see IP address of PC connected to it.
05-15-2014, 12:35 AM

Generally, no.

However, most routers do allow you to see web addresses that were put through the router from any computer that is accessing it. But not all routers can do that.

It is possible that they installed software on your laptop when you were not looking. Like maybe a VNC program? With VNC, they can see EVERYTHING that you are doing on your laptop. And you would not know they are doing so if they are in "stealth mode." With VNC, you can see anyone's computer on the Internet, not just your own local network.

How can you detect if they are running a VNC program? Review the list of programs that are running in your TASK MANAGER. If you see any you do not recognize, you can Google it to find out what it is.

-