This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think of my photography?
05-15-2014, 02:35 AM
What do you think of my photography?
I just realized that I am getting a lot of traffic from youarenotaphotopher dot com and I looked through their photos and am a little worried now. Is there anything on my page that stands out as that awful? https://www.facebook.com/lizphoto530

I've been shooting for exactly 2years and started classes just a little before then so I know I still have a ways to go. TIA for any help advice.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2014, 02:37 AM

very nice good work

Ads

05-15-2014, 02:44 AM

Quite honestly, a lot of it is what I consider to be pretty bad.
There are a few mixed in that I would consider "pretty good". They're a little soft, but I'll just attribute that to facebook's conversion.

I didn't look at all of your photographs, but I would consider most of your "Baptism" album to be awful. If I had taken them, I certainly wouldn't display them in my portfolio. Wedding #16 of 27 and #24 of 27 are pretty awful too.

I can't tell if it's your processing or what but most of your photos look like you sucked the contrast out of them. Plus there seems to be a lot of exposure issues.

If I had any recommendations, it would be more contrast, watch your exposure and do a little less overall processing of your photographs.
Of course these are just one person's opinion. And you did specifically ask our opinions.
05-15-2014, 02:56 AM

Not a lot I'm afraid. You're exposure's all over the place & you seem to have no control of light.

Most of the shots are no better than anyone using a bridge camera or DSLR on Auto.

However, that said, I've seen far worse on YANAP.com
05-15-2014, 02:58 AM

There are some there that I rather like, but there are others that really pull the good shots down. A good photo is no better than the bad one beside it.

I may be wrong, but you seem to be trying to achieve some type of look or style, ... something like a soft pastel or washed out look. The exposure is just way overdone on many with no contrast and poor color rendition. There are also some black and whites that truly are awful. Very dark and muddy looking.

Not meaning it to be a back handed compliment, but there are much worse photos on Facebook, so don't feel too bad.

In my opinion, you need to look at all your photos with a stern, objective eye and delete many that are really hurting the overall impression of your work. I do think you have a mostly good eye for composition. There are some tilted horizons that you need to watch out for, but most of your compositions are good with leading lines and rule of thirds placement of subjects.

So all is not doom and gloom! Two years is not really THAT long a time. Good photography skills can take many years. Your overall photos look like someone still in a learning stage, but with good potential.

You say you are getting traffic from the You Are Not A Photographer" site. Well, take an honest look at them. Use that as a reference as to what you may be doing wrong. The photos on that site just may be the best critique and training tool you could ask for. Think about WHY the photos are on that site and what you are going to do to correct the problems that got them there.

steve
05-15-2014, 03:06 AM

It's not good . . .

With shots like this one https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...3641_n.jpg - I am honestly not surprised you are getting attention from the youarenotaphotographer site.

Also nearly every shot you have taken has had the color mangled in some way or other in an image editor.