This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have a really high ping but my internet is fast. PLEASE HELP ME!?
05-15-2014, 06:11 PM
I have a really high ping but my internet is fast. PLEASE HELP ME!?
Ok so my internet has been running fine lately, but then all of a sudden when i would go to play a game I would get really high ping, around 400-500 which is not normal, usually I get around 50-60. So I checked to see if my internet was running slowly but it wasn't, it was running a bit faster than normal and I did a speedtest and everything was normal. Btw the games that are tried running were League of Legends and Minecraft. So i decided to leave my net for a day and overnight while I was sleeping I turned off my router thinking that might have helped. When I came back to it the next day, the internet was running fine until I had checked that games, I had around 200 ping on my games which was better but still not what it use to be. I decided to turn off my computer for a bit and leave it. When i turned it back on it wouldn't even let me log into the games, saying their is a connection issue. I have run a full system virus scan, ran ccleaner and I have contacted my ISP but what they did, did not help. I dont know what to do now i've even disconnected all my other devices from my router to see if that would help and it didn't.
Pls help me!!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2014, 06:25 PM

try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0pgVkMuRA

Ads

05-15-2014, 06:26 PM

TL; DR It's possible that the network path between you and the League of Legends and Minecraft servers is congested. At the same time, the speedtest result could be normal because the path to the speedtest server is not congested. But read on if you want to learn how to diagnose this further.

Keep in mind that the speedtest program by default chooses a server that is as close as possible to your machine. The test is intended to measure the speed of your connection to your ISP. The speed to the rest of the Internet can vary wildly. This is one possible explanation for what you are seeing.

Many computing devices have network diagnostic tools for measuring delays in a network. Ping is one such tool. It measures round-trip times in milliseconds between two points in a network. A lower number is better. Another tool is called traceroute. It, too, measures roundtrip delays but it will provide measurements for all network hops between two the points.

If you are on a Mac or Windows machine, you will typically have traceroute installed. Open a terminal (cmd window on Windows) and type 'traceroute <name or ip address>' (tracert <name or ip address> on Windows) where <name or ip address> is the DNS name or IP address of the League of Legends or Minecraft server. You will get a list of time measurements starting with your nearest router and ending with the server and all intermediate hops in between. If the listing shows a jump in the time measurements beyond a certain hop, then that is a sign of either network congestion or a slow link. If this is happening closer to the server, then there is typically nothing you can do, other than to find another server. If the congestion is happening closer to you, perhaps within your ISP, then you can complain to your ISP and ask them to fix it.

Hope this helps.