This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have a home land line, but no phone service. Can I still use an ISP with dial-up?
05-16-2014, 09:09 AM
I have a home land line, but no phone service. Can I still use an ISP with dial-up?
I would like to dump ATT ISP.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014, 09:14 AM

Well, as you said it yourself, no. Dial-up requires a phone service. No phone service, no dialing anywhere... not even 9-1-1. You have other options, though.

1. Cable Broadband or Fiber-Optic Broadband. Albeit more expensive than DSL or Dial-Up and may or may not be available in your area (from the sounds of your question), it is much faster and does not require a phone line to operate. With Cable/Fiber, you can get TV, Internet, and Phone all by the same provider, eliminating the need for a traditional phone line. The upside is that everything is right there for you (and usually provided to you at a bundled price so you save some...) the downside is that you may need a phone line to start the first contact or you'll need to visit a physical store to ask about/set up install of the service (and for the bundle or pricing, it might require you to go into a commitment of no less than a year.) The other downside is that it's much... much more expensive than dial-up, but most people usually find themselves saving money with the bundle.

Providers include: Verizon FiOS, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision Optimum, Google Fiber

2. Get a phone line and go dial-up. Well, unfortunately, you'll need to get phone service first. THEN sign up for a Dial-Up ISP like NetZero/Juno, EarthLink, or AOL. The upside is that you get Internet access wherever there's a phone line and it's generally available in areas where Cable Broadband and Fiber Optic Internet isn't. The downside is the price you will ultimately pay in the end. Think about it - dial-up uses your phone line. In addition to the monthly or pay-as-you-go charge, you'll have to pay for the phone call (and probably by minute and varies by distance of the access number.) If money isn't your issue, then it's going to be the amount of patience you have because it is, without a doubt, one of the slowest access methods to the Internet... period. It might not even be your most reliable method because the line quality can interrupt your Internet access at a moment's notice.

Providers Include: NetZero/Juno, EarthLink, AOL, MetConnect

3. Tether a smartphone/get mobile broadband. You will need a smartphone with the ability to provide Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB tethering or a device meant to connect you, via USB or Wi-Fi, to a mobile network. Depending on the network, type and limitations, you may be paying a lot or paying a little - it all depends on how much your usage demands it. The more you use, the more you pay. 3G/4G or WiMax will be a question. Availability is another thing to consider. The good thing about it is that you can go mobile and it doesn't require a landline, for the most part. The bad thing about it is the cost and availability. Judging by your consideration of dial-up, it seems like you may be living in an area with a possibility of being without 3G/4G LTE. This might not be your best option, but if your 3G/4G coverage is great for some reason or there's WiMax available in your area, talk to a mobile broadband provider and see what they can do for you. I don't promise a cheap price (talking close to $80 per month for a generous amount of data or as low as $40 a month for the least amount of data), but again, you'll have this option.

Providers Include: T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply