This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet connection from PC-2 through PC-1?
05-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Internet connection from PC-2 through PC-1?
Dear Friend

Objectives:
I want to have Internet connection in 2nd PC which is connected with 1st PC (which has got EDGE MODEM connected) through Switch/Hub. That means two PC is under LAN.

Two PC (both are under Windows XP) have been connected through switch and they can share data within each other.

Now the problem is, 1st PC (IP address: 192.168.0.58 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1) has got EDGE MODEM through which I can have Internet connection.

When I get connection by EDGE MODEM in 1st PC, I find two different IP address i.e. one for 1st PC’s LAN card & another for 1st PC’s MODEM. Please see the detail in below:

For the case of LAN card of 1st PC: IP address: 192.168.0.58 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

After having connection by EDGE MODEM in 1st PC: IP address of MODEM becomes for example: 10.130.12.254 (which varies on each time connection) Subnet mask: 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway: 10.130.12.254 (it also varies on each time connection).

At that time, I only change the “Default Gateway” of 1st PC LAN setting i.e. I insert 10.130.12.254 i/o 192.168.0.1 and the “Default Gateway” of 2nd PC’s LAN setting i.e. 10.130.12.254 i/o 192.168.0.1

Others setting remain as it is.

I haven’t used any proxy setting in “Internet Connection Setting” i.e. every option is disabled.

Unfortunately, still I am unsuccessful.

Please help and let me know how I can have Internet connection in 2nd PC.

Regards
Pervez

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 05:27 AM

Pervez,

This is how I would connect the two...

From both PC's set the LAN cards to DHCP
-Right click on the LAN Card under "Network Connections"
-Scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the "Properties" button.
-Click the radio button "Obtain an IP address automatically"
-Click the radio button "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
Click the "OK" button
Click the "OK" button

1st PC
-Connect to EDGE MODEM
-Under Network Connections right click the EDGE MODEM and select "Properties"
-Select the "Advanced" Tab
-Check the box under Internet Connection Sharing named "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"
-Click "OK"

2nd PC
-Under Network Connections right click the LAN Card and select "Repair"

Theory
Windows Internet connection sharing from 1st PC should provide DHCP (network address) to your 2nd PC and allow you to connect. There are a couple of things that could stop this from happening, for example if you are connected to a switch, you may need to move the LAN Card connection from a normal switchport to one labeled "WAN" or "Internet" on the switch. A hub should allow the two to connect right away. If this does not work let me know and we can continue troubleshooting. Windows Internet connection sharing is goofy and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. So if today it works and you come back and connect and it doens't, you may need to turn off internet connection sharing and then turn it back on. Or you may just need to repair (this renews the DHCP and looks for another IP address) the LAN Card on the 2nd PC again to connect.GOOD LUCK!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply