This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do some people still think our minds are confined to the insides of our heads?
05-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Do some people still think our minds are confined to the insides of our heads?
Rupert Sheldrake reveals how even in our most ordinary perceptions our minds are not confined to the insides of our heads.

"An excellent scientist; the proper, imaginative kind that in an earlier age discovered continents" New Scientist

http://iai.tv/video/the-extended-mind?ut...ign=buffer
please watch at least the first few mins before replying
daicactus - you seem to be deluded
DogofMan - adults only please
Sans Deity - why talk about wizards? are you insane?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 01:11 PM

So if Rupert says it it must be true?

Edit- You failed to point out that "Morphic resonance is not accepted by the scientific community as a real phenomenon and Sheldrake's proposals relating to it have been characterized as pseudoscience."

Ads

05-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Well, I have 5 senses to extend my mind, but that's it.
05-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Our minds can spread out even unto the ends of the Universe if there are any.
05-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Good old Rupert! Parapsychologist of choice to the deluded.
05-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Reality is not what it seems. This video on 'Perceiving Reality' explains it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0drT_L4G...789537E7D4
05-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Of course they aren't. I for one am an ethereal ghost and I have come back to the world of the living to tell you you're retarded.
05-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Mind isn't strictly defined. You can call it your memory or you can call it your memory coming from your sensual experiences or you can call it your memory coming from your sensual experiences taken from the world around you. Where exactly is your mind in all of this? All those things are one process. If you want to talk about a mind then you need to draw an arbitrary line somewhere. I haven't read/heard anything of Mr. Sheldrake but going by what you are saying, he is either just doing some philosophical thought, or he is bullsh*tting Big Grin
05-17-2014, 02:16 PM

I'm actually surprised because usually your questions are inane, but "The extended mind" is actually a pretty interesting concept. I guess it can boil down to semantics, though.

A good example I've heard of this is a husband and wife on a road trip where the husband has no memory. He writes down the directions in a notebook and the wife just keeps the information in her memory.

In this case, the notebook is acting as an extension of his mind by acting as his "memory", so you could say that his mind is not confined to what's in his skull, but to me that's kind of playing mental gymnastics a bit, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

Of course this is not any kind of evidence that an invisible wizard exists or anything.
05-17-2014, 02:23 PM

I didn't click on your link but you have given us an interesting question.
What about the government project on Remote Viewing, where our military asked certain psychics to remotely view the inside of foreign government military installations? Apparently they got good results from this.