This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think this picture means?
05-17-2014, 07:27 PM
What do you think this picture means?
What do you think this picture symbolize?

http://blog.joins.com/usr/j/b/jbrown2131/1/4(470).jpg

this was a profile image for facebook of the person i like... i wonder what this picture says..

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Why don't you ask him? I'd be a great way to start a conversation, and get to know him better.

Ads

05-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Even the most beautiful things can appear in the ugliest of places: There is beauty everywhere.
05-17-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm going to share with you Panofky's Iconographic Steps. I'll be brief and clear with what they are. This will help you.

1. Pre-Iconographic: The context of the photo/painting without any preconceived thoughts of the elements in the photo. In other words, describe what you SEE rather than explain what they mean.

Dandelion, Cracks on the ground (could be a desert), Dry environment, Dandelion isn't dead but looks Alive, The picture is taken above given the angle, looks like it was shot in the middle of the day given the shadow cast of the flower.

2. Iconographic: Describe what each element means.

Dandelion is a flower that grows form weeds. Normally, they are considered a pests in many people's lawns and are usually killed or removed from its roots. Plants grow where there is usually a water source. In the photo, the dandelion is growing in a dry climate given the cracks in the ground which indicate little presence of water. However, despite its area, it still grows from an unusual place. The plant does not show signs of being dead and even in high noon, it doesn't look withered.

3. Iconology: The deeper meaning. In this case; What does this symbolize?

This could mean a multitude of things. IMO, I feel that this photo symbolizes the persistence of what we don't want, that keep coming back no matter what. A dandelion is never favored in a lawn and but given that it's growing in a DRY, perhaps inhabitable environment, it doesn't show any signs of dyeing.

Hope this helped!
05-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Just because it's tough to survive doesn't mean you can't be a beautiful person.

That's what it says to me. It might say something different to them though, because what we see in images is shaped by our own experiences. Why don't you ask and see what this person says?
05-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Audacity.
05-17-2014, 08:29 PM

Dandelions will survive anywhere. ;-)
05-17-2014, 08:32 PM

It's fascinating how a parasitic weed can manipulate even the harshest of deserts, zealously drain water of the already scorched land to maintain its survival. Yet, people praise it, they praise the shallow beauty of it. completely negligent of the contribution that the dying land surrounding it has given.

On a more positive not, in the life of every person, there's a presence of something beautiful. Doesn't matter how depleted you are, there's always an energetic purpose to live for and look forward to: a yellow flower, a shining sun. That one person.
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM

something illogical is happening-the impossible becomes possible..life where there shouldn't be any.
05-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Hope springs eternal even when everything seems bleak .