This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
need to strengthen wifi signal?
05-18-2014, 05:28 AM
need to strengthen wifi signal?
i need something to boost the signal to some rooms on the opposite side of the house, but iam not sure what to get. i was thinking a booster, but i heard repeaters are better.

any recommended ones or tips on what to get? please no downloadable "wifi boosters". id rather have a actual box, something small, and easy to set up.
my wifi box is a Cisco-Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router and my computer runs on win 8. in case those matter on which booster/ repeater to use.
@falsi fiable

it is, but the signal is cut off right at the rooms. its very odd. its super strong but as soon as you go threw the doorway into one of the rooms the 5 bar signal drops to 1-2 bars.

we even joke that its because of "lead paint".

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2014, 05:40 AM

Raise your wi-fi router so it is at least three feet above floor level.

Ads

05-18-2014, 05:45 AM

You can get a booster or a repeater. Something you can try before spending money, try using some heavy foil as a mirror. Put the foil or even a mirror on the side away from where you want the signal to go ...

You can also look in the router software to see if there is a power setting, in which case you might be able to increase the power level. If your router software doesn't have such a setting, you could upgrade your router with the DD-WRT or Tomato firmware which do offer such a power setting.
05-18-2014, 05:54 AM

maybe just get a new router
05-18-2014, 05:58 AM

Your existing router sounds find but in case if it is still not fulfilling your needs then I would suggest to go for an extra WiFi repeater. This shall not only boost your signal but will also increase your coverage are in order to have better signal strength. Good Luck
05-18-2014, 06:07 AM

I had the very same issue, my house is very old and has thick stone walls which killed the wifi signal, I bought a TP-Link powerline wifi kit which consists of two plugs, one that connects to the router via an ethenet cable and just plugs into a power outlet then the other one you plug into a power outlet in the low signal area, the signal then travels through the house wiring and out of the plug, the signal strength where the plug is is now as good as being next to the router.