This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help with putting a website onto the internet?
05-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Need help with putting a website onto the internet?
Not to long ago I finished making a HTML web document but I want to put it onto the internet.
I know little to nothing about port forwarding and things like that.
I want to host it from my own computer and for free. So not through anything like "000webhost.com" etc.

If possible I want to pick my own domain name, favicon and I want to be able to put ads on my page to make money.

All help will be appreciated and Thanks for any answers!

Note: I am able to host the website at all times from a strong desktop. So don't say hosting a website from a home computer is a bad idea

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2014, 10:17 AM

Try these instructions:

http://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/how-t...-computer/

You should know that it takes a lot of traffic to make money from ads. Your home computer and Internet connection might be overwhelmed. You might consider a host, such as HostGator. There are many others, but I've used HG for a while now and have had good luck them. Also GoDaddy has a lot of visual clutter on their site, but they a pretty good job with domains otherwise - they seem to be stable. They are fairly cheap these days.

Ads

05-18-2014, 10:33 AM

You just need to rent a VPS service from a web hosting company for hosting your website online. Making your website live 24/7/365 requires a good vps service with a good uptime of 99.9%.

Now the option comes for a paid and a free hosting service. If you go for a free hosting service you can gets services full of advertisements or you may get restricted services for your website. Unlike free hosting services, a paid hosting service can provide you security and guarantee of uptime and a good support for your technical queries. You just need to choose a reliable and cheap vps hosting service for your requirements.
05-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Hi Luke,

there are security issues with hosting your website on your own computer even if you can afford to have your computer on at all times. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing you may end up hacked and lose not just your site, but also your private data. If you feel the need to go to a forum and ask how you should do this, chances are that you don't have the know-how on how to deal with the many security threats that the task involves, and which would take a whole book to explain. Some web hosts are as cheap as $5 per month.

The problem with web hosting is that all reviews and recommendations you find around including the ones on sites such as Wordpress.org and Joomla.org are paid. The hosts actually pay the webmasters a commission or fixed fee to get listed in their list of "recommended sites". Many hosts gain a great reputation because they pay a lot for this type of advertising, and whichever review site you come across, you find their name on it. People start thinking that the host is awesome and spread the word. The truth is that those kind of hosts are actually the worst you can subscribe to.

I jumped from one to another for weeks, trying their crappy services and requesting a refund each time (which you should for every host that doesn't deliver). Then I came across a forum called Web Hosting Talk through a Google search and the users there explained what is going on. Advertising hosts on WHT is prohibited, but I came across http://hostingreviews.wiki.lc/ in one of the posts, which had reviews that actually gave out information on the speed and uptime of the hosts. You will notice that the most popular ones got the worst responses. I took a ride with one of the free trial offers and so far so good.
05-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Dear,

You might get some help from
http://webhostingnoob.com

Good Luck